Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A note about fellow turner Nate Hawkes and another warning

Nate, glad to hear you are recovering. I have my own battle scars, mostly from sharp chisels used too casually, but one from a table saw. Mostly from not quitting when I knew I was overheated and not thinking clearly. I applaud the decision to get a saw-stop. If I hadn't been sucked into this vortex so strong, I would be thinking the same.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Wishing Nate a speedy recovery and thanking God that it was not worse than it is.

Glad to see you are healing well. I've got to admit that the photo's sent a chill down my back. The first thing I did when I hit the shop this morning was put the guard back on my TS! Thanks for a post and a story that might have saved me from the same fate. Quite the wake up post...Bill..

Thanks everyone. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the pics, but I'm kinda glad to send shivers; you should've seen it when the splintered bones were sticking out!! I hope that I can keep a few people from having an accident; even when you're careful, things can happen. Just Thursday, one of our turning club members lost part of the tip of a finger from a kickback crushing it; the damage couldn't be repaired. Board buddies or at the least multiple featherboards should be a must at all times, no matter whether you're using a push stick. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Glad to hear you are healing better than expected. Thats scary stuff when it happens. When I was 18 I worked in a cannery and put 2 of the fingers on my right hand where they weren't suppose to be. Just being stupid, dumb, and ignorant. 40+ stitches, 2 broken bones and a shredded tendon later, I was on my way to recovery. Ever since then I get very safety conscious. Lots of my equipment is old and without any guards but I am still very very careful around them.

Good luck on your recovery and hope to see you back in the saddle soon.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post
    Thanks everyone. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the pics, but I'm kinda glad to send shivers; you should've seen it when the splintered bones were sticking out!! I hope that I can keep a few people from having an accident; even when you're careful, things can happen. Just Thursday, one of our turning club members lost part of the tip of a finger from a kickback crushing it; the damage couldn't be repaired. Board buddies or at the least multiple featherboards should be a must at all times, no matter whether you're using a push stick. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm a firm believer in board buddies.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Nate,

I missed this thread and had been wondering where you were. Sorry to hear about your accident and hope your recovery is going well.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Glad you're feeling better now. You should keep that pushblock (along with the doctor's bill and a bandaged hand photo) in a framed shadow box as a reminder. You can show your grandkids the scar on your finger and the stick that helped cause it.

^
    |
    ---- cut a couple fingernails clean off his hand last weekend (non-woodworking accident, but still could have been easily avoidable)

Nate,

I hope the surgery goes excepitonally well. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.