Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your Achilles heel?

What is your Achilles heel?

Anyone else have a certain wood working task that seems to bite you when you least expect it? For me it's drilling. It doesn't happen all the time, but for any given project if I had to guess where I was going to screw up I'd wager a drill would be involved. From a pilot hole for a hinge screw that's not aligned at 90 degrees to tearout in plywood to a misaligned shelf pin there seems to be no limit to the ways I can make a mess using a drill. Is this just me, or do others have demons that rear up when performing certain tasks?

I'm new enough to the hobby where most things are still my Achilles heel. But if there's one that is absolutely preventable it's drilling - I always manage to forget to support the exit and end up with massive tearout.

Clamping is also an Achilles heel of mine, but that's just because I don't have enough clamps.

Mine is when I have 1 piece of a particular unique wood to finish a project I can guarantee I will do something in the cutting/milling to insure I have a major issue. More than once I have had to redesign a piece as a result. The last time was with some birch that had grain I had NEVER seen anything like it in birch before.

Dave

I have to agree with you on drilling. I always try hard to drill holes in the right spot/depth but quite often manage to screw it up one way or another. I'am not sure what my problem is with it!

Gil

Blog Entries
    For me it's when I have repetitive tasks (multiple identical parts, like drawers, etc). I will get lulled into a false feeling of confidence and do one wrong. Glue the front on the back or glue something upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    For me it's when I have repetitive tasks (multiple identical parts, like drawers, etc). I will get lulled into a false feeling of confidence and do one wrong. Glue the front on the back or glue something upside down.

By the end of this thread I expect to realize I have as many heels as a millipede...

For me it's sanding. I get lazy, skip grits, and it shows up after the 2nd or 3rd coat of finish. Nowadays I allot twice as many days for sanding. One to do it, and the next to do it right.

For me it is the finish. I can never get it right.
    My expectations are for sure higher than my skill level.

For me it's starting a project.....

& then having to actually finish it!

Seems every time I glue something up and drive a handful of 16 or 18 gauge nails with the nail gun I end up having to dig 'em out because I didn't want to drive a nail in one particular spot.

It's only happened a couple of times or three, but that is often enough that anymore I think twice before I grab the nailer.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

For me it is a tie between miter joints and cutting curves. Both seem to require alot of setup and post-cut "fiddling" to get right.

Oh - and I hate routers so they always seem to confound me for some reason.

Keepin my damn shop clean and organized so I can actually work. 3 hours in the shop, 2 to clean and one to work. Seems like a daily task.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Finishing. Always starts out promising, but there's always some flaws I notice later.

Blog Entries
    Anything that needs a hinge. Cabinets to Jewelry boxes. I think it's a mental thing.
    Have a Nice Day!

Routers.

I find so many ways to tear out, to cause one deep flaw in a perfect curve, chowder an end. And I have no excuse because Pat Warner only lives an hour away and gives lessons.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!