Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do you make your mouldings?

Lou...
    Here is a link to a dealer showing the Viel Profile Grinder. These guys make a pretty neat little machine for light duty use. The two knife grinder heads are compatible with schmidt corregated stock.

http://www.moonssawandtool.com/browse.cfm/4,446.html

Tod...
    That is the wirdest profile grinder I have ever seen! You need to explain what you did here. It looks like you started with something like a 618 surface grinder and built a follower rig which you can then bolt to the main table in place of the orig. magnetic surface chuck. Am I right here? What kind of wheels do you run? How wide are those wheels and what do you do to dress them?

So do you think that a small surface grinder like a Brown & Sharpe #2 or #2L could be used in the same capacity? Now you got me interested in this approach!

I saw a foley belsaw profile grinder sell on ebay about a year ago for $800 bucks. Havent seen any lately. My buddy has two of these. One is used for steel knives and the other one is used to finish profiles on brazed carbide shaper heads. The coolant can be a real J-O-Y to work with and clean up!
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

nice link to the viel grinder .... has anyone tried it ... seems sort of inexpensive to me.

lou
    Last edited by lou sansone; 12-30-2005 at 8:39 AM.

what i built is patterned after the veil in a way,kind of a cross between it and a roundamat[sp] i owned a veil for a while and although underpowered it did work well. figure about 45 min per inch on a two knife head with it..the one i modified was made by united tool, it started life as an automatic cutterhead grinder for s4s machines and will still do that well but i don`t have an s4s machine..so the self indexing tailstock and hydraulic feed see no use. i dress the wheels freehand to match homemade styluses using everything from a foley rotary dresser to segments of a core-bit welded to a piece of steel rod. i`ve had good service from the 3m blue wheels and use 46 grit to rough and 100 grit to dress. really it`s not to dificult to addapt any good grinder to do profiles, just over build to avoid flex and you`ll be fine.....tod

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    what i built is patterned after the veil in a way,kind of a cross between it and a roundamat[sp] i owned a veil for a while and although underpowered it did work well. figure about 45 min per inch on a two knife head with it..the one i modified was made by united tool, it started life as an automatic cutterhead grinder for s4s machines and will still do that well but i don`t have an s4s machine..so the self indexing tailstock and hydraulic feed see no use. i dress the wheels freehand to match homemade styluses using everything from a foley rotary dresser to segments of a core-bit welded to a piece of steel rod. i`ve had good service from the 3m blue wheels and use 46 grit to rough and 100 grit to dress. really it`s not to dificult to addapt any good grinder to do profiles, just over build to avoid flex and you`ll be fine.....tod
    That makes sense. I had considered doing this with my Brown and Sharpe #1 ID/OD cylindrical grinder. But I kept thinking that my problem is how to move the grinder wheel in and out as there is no Y movement on the main bed. But thinking about it, if I make a heavy duty dovetail shoe with its own way system, I use my template jig to move in and out as needed. Great idea.

And for the photo cops, here is a link showing my grinder or grindah depending on your local.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1235

Its in the background. The disc sander is my 30 in kindt collins master after its trip home from WI. There are fewer than 250 of these in total.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

dev, look at the pic i posted, the side to side is riding on 2 thompsons with a 1 1/4 shaft protected with billows. front to back is the machines ways. if you need more pics holler. or if you have a better idea holler, i`m far from the brightest here i just cobble things `till they work. tod

I am without a shaper although I do want one. Right now I make my own via the TS and the router like Jim does. I prefer mine to those you can buy if I can make 'em...mainly cause I know no one else has that exact profile.

Do any of you guys know anything about tod evans grinder in the above post? He says B&S so I assume Brown and Sharpe, but any ideas on model number. I've never even heard of these grinders.