Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Drill Driver Recommendations

Cordless Drill Driver Recommendations

I am looking at the most recent crop of Drill Drivers; would like an 18v lithium model. So far I am thinking either Hitachi or Makita but am open to other suggestions...

Interested in hearing what your personal experience says is worth looking at and what to stay away from.

I use my drill drivers for both furniture work, basic construction and around the house repairs.

For furniture I lke a light weight drill/driver and 18v for more contruction type work. If you want 18v I have been happy with my Dewalt 18V stuff not the best but I got good deals.

The Makita or Panasonic would be my first two choices in 18V tools with the Panasonic edging out the Mak, but honestly I would buy the one I got a better deal on unless I already had tools in the family to share batteries with. Now if you have thoughts of adding a impact driver (my favorite full sized battery tool EVER) I would get the Panny since I much prefer their impact driver.

Got the Makita. Fantastic set.....drill and impact driver. Use the impact driver much more than the drill.

The green ones are the better quality units, and the batteries have more capacity. The white ones are lighter weight consumer versions with smaller batteries. The batteries are interchangeable.

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    Panasonic does not sell an 18V Li-ion drill. They sell 14.4V and ~22V models. I have the 14.4 and it has plenty of power & longevity.

I have 2 Dewalt DC759KA 18v drivers. I keep one for drilling and one for screwing so I dont have to swap between tasks. Both work extremely well.

+1 on Rick's suggestion. I have the white Makita set and absolutely love it. I reach for the impact driver 99% of the time, but both are light, and powerful.

I have a Ryobi P206 18V cordless drill. I wanted something that was well under $100. It works pretty well. I think batteries are sold separately but I already had a few (another reason I wanted Ryobi). This one has 2 speeds and an adjustable torque chuck for controlling screw depth. It works pretty good but not as good as an adjustment mechanism that really measures depth. The lower speed is handy for when the battery starts to run down while driving screws (too slow for drilling). I have snapped some 2" screws with this drill (i.e. torque is high).

It has a keyless chuck which grabs pretty well. I often use hex shank bits and screw drivers so it's only an issue when I'm in a hurry and don't tighten it enough to keep the bit from falling out but it holds round drill bits just fine.

Standard NiMH batteries are not too expensive (~$45) but the Li-On batteries are twice as much. They also sell Li-On batteries that are about half the price of the larger ones but with half the power too (i.e. shorter run). I have a bank of 3 chargers setup and just switch batteries as needed. I also have some cordless Homelite garden tools (hedge trimmer and weed eater) that use the same batteries. I've used these about 3-1/2 years now and at least one of the batteries needs to be replaced (I have 4 batteries).

I like this setup a lot. It was inexpensive and it does what I need it to do. I will probably buy a second one so I don't need to change between a bit and screw driver tip. I haven't tried any expensive drills so I can't compare it to any but it feels good in my hand and seems balanced. Go check out a few at your local big box store, or wood worker specialty shop. Lots of retailers will also let you try some of them out before you buy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

After reading all the reviews I could find, I bought the #452 Makita. I have had it a few weeks, and am very satisfied with it. The Milwaukee was a close 2nd in the reviews. I have several Milwaukee power tools, and they are outstanding. I would choose between the two.
    "Non illegitimis corborundum"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Panasonic does not sell an 18V Li-ion drill. They sell 14.4V and ~22V models. I have the 14.4 and it has plenty of power & longevity.

No more 15.6v?! I know they weren't Li-Ion, but....

I like the 12 volt Ryobi for $39.00 at HD. It comes with two batteries and a charger and is the best bang for the buck I have found. I purchased two of them over a year ago, one for the shop at CNU and one for my workshop. The one at CNU gets used all day long in the sign shop and it is used for sign installs. Tough, powerful and a great value.

The biggest noticeable difference among all the major brands is how they feel in your hand. Before choosing, go pick up and handle as many as you can. Then, select between the 2 most comfortable. Nobody can suggest what will be comfortable for you ... other than you.

Makita

I went out and purchased a Makita LXT211 Lithium-Ion Cordless combo kit. It comes with the BHP452 1/2" Hammer Driver, BTD141 Impact Driver, charger and two 3 ah batteries. I like the weight and balance of these more than the Hitachi's I was originally looking at, although this was $100 more and should be more substantial. Thanks for all of the input from everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

To me, the most important feature on a cordless drill/driver is a brake on the chuck. I always have difficulty getting keyless chucks tight enough. In fact I used to replace the keyless chucks with Jacobs keyed chucks, untilI discovered drill/drivers with brakes.

14. IMO, the jury is still out on Lithium batteries for power tools.

I have a Panasonic 15.6V drill driver, with NiMH (nickel-metal-hydride) batteries. I've had it since about 2004.

I bought this specific drill because it got great reviews back in '04. And if/when the batteries finally die, I'll want another.

Six years on, the batteries still take and hold a good charge.

And the torque is as good as most 18V drills.

Rockwell LithiumTech

I have the new Rockwell LithiumTech tools. They got the Popular Mechanics Editor's Choice Award in 2009. And I couldn't be happier. I was a General Contractor for years and so used a quite a few cordless drill/drivers over the years starting with Makita's 9.6V back in the late 80's.

I have to say this is by far the best cordless drill I have ever used. It is light weight, powerful, has long batter life and a 35 minute recharge when the batteries do run down. The set comes with both the drill/driver and an impact driver, 2 batteries, charger, and carrying case.

I don't know if it is still going on, but when I bought my set they had a free replacement batteries for life promo running. I checked out several of the newer units out there right now before buying, including Makita and DeWalt. I'm glad I picked this set.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty