Thread: Cheap planes listed now

Cheap planes listed now

Someone just listed a bunch of planes on a popular auction site. They are on the home & garden planes section, a #7 for $25, etc. just thought someone might be interested

also a kunz 112 for 65$
    Last edited by James Taglienti; 06-10-2010 at 8:51 AM.

Looks like they'd need more than a little work, but I'd say that 7 is a steal. To bad I don't need another 7. . .

$65....hah 99¢ is a better price

I'm still trying to flatten the one I purchased at a garage sale for $35. It has a massive dimple right in front of the throat. Its worth the extra money to get a usable tool sometimes.

You should be OK without finish lapping the scraper because of the mouth. Erosion in front of the mouth is not a big deal like it is on a plane. The burr on the scraper will break the chip itself as part of cutting instead of relying on a tight mouth or a chipbreaker to do it.

That shouldn't be misinterpreted as an endorsement for anything made by kunz, though! I made the mistake a couple of times - it *does* say "made in germany" on it. Unfortunately, you don't find out until after you buy it that it's former east germany, so it's more like buying soviet wares.