Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router table vs Shaper

I have a router bit adapter for my shaper. It accepts 1/2 inch shank router bits. I have never used it. I do not have a power feeder though. What would this gain me other than the safety thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    I have a router bit adapter for my shaper. It accepts 1/2 inch shank router bits. I have never used it. I do not have a power feeder though. What would this gain me other than the safety thing?
    The ability to climb cut (no chip out ever) and the ability to have 100% feed speed from start to finish. Perfect hold downs and hold ins. Ability to set up the shaper as an edge jointer or the ability to run molding or door parts and have the machined and dimensioned all in one pass.

I am sure there a lot of others I am missing. It seems the options are nearly limitless.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Cool

How many passes does it require to mill a raised panel ? 11/16" thickness or so . Using a shaper?

one

Shaper

This is true. One pass and it'll be smooth as a baby's bottom. A router table will provide the same results, but it'll be a lot more work with 2-3 passes and you'll have to be careful about feed rate and router RPM.

Use a shaper with a power feeder and as my five year old son says it'll be "easy peasy, lemon squeezy".

Still, unless you're doing a LOT of raised panels, I still like my router table.

Regards,

John