Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walnut, Oak burl, Spalted Maple

Beautiful piece, just like it is. I especially like the involuted finial and blackwood top.

This is simply an amazing piece Toney. I do appreciate the work & detail that you put in the finial, but what really catches my eye is the nice smooth yet crisp detailing in the bowl & an excellent fit on the lid. extremely well done!

I've got a suggestion for you, Toney, since you asked for them.... send that ugly thing to me, so I can hide it for you.

Just kidding... You do awesome work... and this one really works for me!!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Exceptional! Not a big fan of inside-out but the result is fabulous. Keep em comin'.

very nice....

wow, I think Manta Ray when I look at it..a real sense of motion & life...splendid piece

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I just love it when Hart's feminine side comes out! It just gives me a warm and fuzzy! I think the cove could be a little deeper, but I would have picked another adjective - maybe delicate, elegant.... but, if Hart is comfortable with "feminine" I guess that is OK.....
    Aw c'mon....gimme a break. I took time away from picking out drapery fabric to make a comment...and looky what happens. 'cuse me...but I have to go straighten up my vanity.

tsk.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

8. The three elements of your work are indeed very nice and your turning ability is flawless. The bowl, lid and finial each have strong features that compete for dominance of the piece. The bow/lid or lid/finial are superb, but the three pieces combined don't meld into a whole that is greater than the sum of the parts.

A black lid rim and smaller knob, styled like the suggestion of Mr. Keller, would enhance the simple elegance of the design.

Or if I might be so forward to interpret your intentions of making the 'inside out' finial the crowning piece. If so, then the lid and bowl are the supporting actors, changes in wood selection could be made (or use of coloring) and the proportions of finial may need slight downward tweeking of the tall stem.

"Cathedral of Intercession of Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat" or as some say, "Saint Basil's Cathedral" is dazzlingly ornate but illustrates how supporting elements are used to highlight the domes 'er finials. Just a side note: the domes were to symbolize the flames of a bonfire and build (1551-1561) by Ivan IV of Russia to celebrate the final battles of the Russo-Kazan Wars. This was a unique architectural masterpiece of its time.

Then again, if I could turn half as well as you, I'd be out in the shop instead of looking at this computer screen.

A suggestion, if you haven't already ... post this as an entry into the 2010 Art Challenge on this board.

Excellent work .. I wouldn't change a thing!

Very unique combination, Toney. It catches the eye and looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    I see your point Thom....but I'd like to ask a question. (not argument...just a thought) Considering that, with the exception of the black tip, does it flow through its spectrum, bottom to top...dark to light?

What I see that is pleasing is that the oak burl, with its extreme lights and darks, creates a transistion interface between the walnut and the maple. Then the black tip brings a final darkness for the maple to compliment back to the oak burl.

Anyway...I like it. I was just wondering about your thoughts about that.
    I agree with your point, I was trying to 'encourage' more thinking about the 'composition' not just the form. I would probably used some of the walnut rather than the black for the tip, keep it to three colors as John Keeton said.... Still, a very beautiful piece.
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 06-22-2010 at 7:49 AM. Reason: spelling, content
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Beautiful...you should be proud of that one!

Toney,
    I haven't seen other inside out finials...but wow, that's very cool. I love the shape of the bottom of the vessel, it reminds me a nice wave ripple with perfect flow.
    The fitment and carrying of the lines on the lid is super...the finial is very cool, I like it alot.

I see a little of what the others are saying with too many colors...though I think this piece gets away with it.

Had I done anything different ... only after reading others comments...I would perhaps use walnut for the tip of the finial...or, integrate a black band just outside the lid, kinda like what John Keeton did with the black epoxy. Just a thought...but I like it without doing a thing also. That being said...the black highlight in the oak burl has just enough to contrast with the tip...so you're good in my opinion.

Great imaginative work!!
    Last edited by Tim Rinehart; 06-22-2010 at 8:57 AM.

Wow - really striking.
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I agree with your point, I was trying to 'encourage' more thinking about the 'composition' not just the form. I would probably used some of the walnut rather than the black for the tip, keep it to three colors as John Keeton said.... Still, a very beautiful piece.
    Hey..you got my attention Thom.
    Because I make vases and am starting to move in the direction of more multi-wood pieces....AND because I have absolutely no artistic sense WHATSOEVER... I like to understand better the importance of proper wood selection....and color flow....and whether Keeton knows anything at all about feminine features in wood.

Toney's piece here pretty much dazzled me, so I was curious. Thanks
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Blog Entries
    An absolutely exquisite piece. The combination of the woods and the finial are perfect. they all lend to each other perfectly.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.