Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6" PVC fittings

Actually, while Lowes prices seem to be higher than some internet sources, PVC is still way cheaper than metal.

Here are some quick links to Grizzly's site. And Grizzly usually has good/competitive prices:

Pipe http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Di...ion-Pipe/G7364

Blast gate http://www.grizzly.com/products/Indu...-Gate-6-/G7358

Elbow http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-90...on-Elbow/G7369

And PLEASE don't bring up the static in PVC argument.....or tale....

Where is that pic of Piccard and #1 with their heads hanging....ugh!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cover View Post
    PVC is many times more expensive than metal duct.

6" adjustable metal elbows are $2
    6/6/6 metal wye's cost me about $8
    6/6/4 about the same
    6" 26g 10 foot spiral duct costs about $16
    4" 26g 10 foot duct costs about $12

NEVER buy metal duct at Lowes, H.D. or Ace

Check your yellow pages for A/C or HVAC supply houses and buy it there

Also, PVC creates dangerous static charges. Metal is self grounding.
    Pretty strong statement! What is your source?

If, as many folks do, you get ductwork from Oneida, Grizzly, or worse NORFAB, the cost of metal duct exceeds, and the cost of fittings far exceeds the cost of PVC S&D (ASTM 2729 NOT Sched 40!) even when the fittings are purchased at Lowes.

You need to provide your sources to help folks out.

Also, you should avoid adjustable elbows- bends of any kind are SP hogs and rob the system of CFM, but bends with multiple ridges like those in the adjustable elbows are the absolute worst you can use.

The statement about PVC and dangerous static is flat out wrong and has been debunked many times on every WW forum. Read here- Rod Cole- static.

Well, I HAPPENED to catch eye of a place that sells PVC (schedule 40 and S&D) pipe and fittings today while running some errands. I popped in, and lo and behold, an honest place that sells for reasonable prices. S&D fittings for: wye $17, 45's and 90's for $8. Lucky me...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Just today bought metal furnace ducting (galvanized). 6"X5' pipe was $8; 6X6X6 wyes were $4; 6 to 4 reducers (8" long) were $5. Spent about $100 including tax for just about all the ductwork I need.

FYI, for those using metal ducting, and especially HVAC metal ducting, make sure you get the right wye fittings.

Get ones that look like the wye on the left. DO NOT get ones that look like the center or right - they are low velocity wyes. They add a lot of static pressure resistance and turbulence, much like a 'T' fitting.

I've read many many times of folks using HVAC ducting that collapses when vacuum applied with dust gates closed. The thin walled ducting used for some HVAC won't cut it against a good suction.

I can't recall the gauge of metal recommended as the min, or the gauge of HVAC to avoid, but those would be two worthwhile numbers to add to this thread if anyone else has them.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Just today bought metal furnace ducting (galvanized). 6"X5' pipe was $8; 6X6X6 wyes were $4; 6 to 4 reducers (8" long) were $5. Spent about $100 including tax for just about all the ductwork I need.
    Do you know the gauge of that metal ducting? If around #30, there *could be* issues with it collapsing.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Oneida recommends 26 guage or heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Do you know the gauge of that metal ducting? If around #30, there *could be* issues with it collapsing.
    Don't know the exact gauge, but my micrometer fingers tell me it is the same stuff I've used in the past with no problems. My DC is the Jet 2 horse and I am using the cyclone I learned about in a previous post here.