Thread: Plane PVC planks with planer?

Plane PVC planks with planer?

Good Afternoon,

Is this possible?

Thanks
    Kerry

I guess it is possible, but the static cling on the shavings will be a mess.

I don't see why not either. It can be sawn and routed with regular woodworking tools. If you have a lot to remove it might be worth resawing to minimize the mess, but like Russ said, its gonna be messy!

I've cut PVC imitation wood with my table saw using a regular carbide blade and it cut quite easy and cleanly.

White specks and shavings... No melting issues, no binding, etc.

Yep!

I've run PVC through my lunchbox planer without any problems. Be sure to hook up a good dust collector, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Adams View Post
    Good Afternoon, Is this possible? Thanks Kerry

A few pieces should be OK but be advised that the PVC is filled with calcium carbonate (marble dust) and titanium dioxide (makes it white) and will dull you planer blades more so than regular wood will. As everyone else said...very very messy too. Also, if you compost you planer chips, the PVC won't decompose for several generations and if you burn your chips, the PVC will not burn but generate hydrogen chloride which combines with moisture in the air to make hydrochloric acid which, when inhaled, can really mess up your day.....or your life.

Be careful if you power sand! We experimented with one type, it cut and planed well, but when it went through the wide belt machine, disaster! I'm still picking chunks out of the ductwork.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Adams View Post
    Good Afternoon,

Is this possible?

Thanks
    Kerry

I've run both Kleer and Azek (cellular PVC) through my planer to knock thhem down just a smidge. I've found that they are not all quite the same thickness, which can be frustrating.

It planed OK. I have a feeling it really did a number on my planer blades, but I didn't do a lot of material so I really do not know. +1 on the dust collector suggestion.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I have jointed a couple of pieces with no issues, but YMMV planing.