Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: planing finish off reclaimed lumber

Use your TS or a belt sander first. A nice 36 grit belt will work wonders!

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    There is no way that a normal finish will damage a blade. It may gum it up slightly, but not cause any excessive wear. If you are worried about wear, dont buy the maple, buy balsa wood instead.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

3. Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    There is no way that a normal finish will damage a blade. It may gum it up slightly, but not cause any excessive wear. If you are worried about wear, dont buy the maple, buy balsa wood instead.
    Damage, highly unlikely. Dull faster, absolutely. I'd much rather dull blades cutting maple than cutting anything with finish on it. Even if planing/jointing with a finish on it doesn't dull the blades right away that would be what I consider avoidable and unnecessary wear and tear. Might as well take care of all that expensive equipment.

You have carbide inserts, scan for metal and run it. Using reclaimed lumber is necessarily harder on equipment. Using you equipment for what it is designed isn't abuse, its use.

Remember that very similar carbide is what is used to machine steel in mills and the like.

I likely wouldn't do anything until I was using it for a project so the wear would be spread out over time.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I agree...

I agree with Joe C. about using your tools for what they're made for, go for it. I'd do all of it at once and get it over with, though. I suspect that you'll have more knife wear from grit and dirt than from the finish, and if you do it all at once you can just rotate your carbides when you're done if you need to and not have to worry about it again.

If you need to justify it, compare the cost of the wood plus 1/4 of the cost of a complete set of inserts (Byrd inserts are about $3 each) to the cost of the wood if you bought it from a dealer. If the reclaimed wood + inserts is a fair bit cheaper then go for it, otherwise pass on it.

John

I like the belt sander with coarse grit 1st. Take it outside and get most of it off. Doesn't have to be perfect. Then the jointer. Absolutely use a metal detector. I also use a wire brush on everything before it goes on the jointer to get off any embedded sand, grit, etc.
    "Non illegitimis corborundum"

Where does all this silliness about the great damage and dulling from planing off a clear finish come from. It isn't at all like paint which include pigment made of ground up metal oxides that can be pretty abrasive. But the clear finish is just a bit harder than most woods, pretty much insures that there is less imbedded grit than with rough lumber from the lumber yard, and makes it a lot easier to see if there is imbedded metal.

Worst case, you have to sharpen blades a very little faster than usual. So what--that's not abuse it's use, and the cost to sharpen can just be figured into the price of the lumber--adding a few pennies a board foot to the cost of the lumber. Running it through a planer is by far the fastest, easiest method of turning the material into something usable.

I would NEVER want to plane after using a sander. Sanding leaves really hard grit in the wood--aluminum oxide etc. That's a bad idea.

Yes, No fuss at all. Just run it man No worries. Make sure no metal is in there though. What the heck is a little finish going to do to the byrd inserts. Nuttin.
    Fullerbuilt

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    Where does all this silliness about the great damage and dulling from planing off a clear finish come from. It isn't at all like paint which include pigment made of ground up metal oxides that can be pretty abrasive. But the clear finish is just a bit harder than most woods, pretty much insures that there is less imbedded grit than with rough lumber from the lumber yard, and makes it a lot easier to see if there is imbedded metal.
    Just because a finish is clear does not mean it does not contain oxides. Floor finishes are a case in point; We have put down bamboo flooring that is prefinished. We used some of the flooring for counter tops in the laundry room. For some silly reason we decided to sand the finish off of one counter top so we could apply a different look (and finish). It turns out the bamboo has 9 coats of clear aluminum oxide finish. All we were able to do with a belt sander was eat a bunch of belts - you could not tell we had been sanding at all.

Another finish I hate is milk paint. We had purchased a 100 yer old victorian some years ago that needed to be repainted. The bevel siding was pretty bad and needed to be stripped before painting. Strippers would not take the finish off. Sanding was futile. Purchased a Makita power hand planed - all it did was eat blades. After 6 months of trying to stip the wood we ended up replacing all of the siding.

another ad for milk paint ^

if you ever run into that again, fwiw, you could've simply hired someone to come out and buff the dirt off and recoated the milk paint. can't get lead paint anymore but milk paint is still available from a few places.

The iron oxides in factory finished wood flooring is a relatively recent phenomena, hardly what you would expect from materials old enough to be reclaimed.