Thread: Would this top design work? Or am I asking for trouble.

Would this top design work? Or am I asking for trouble.

I would like to try this top design. The center would be maple, surrounded by about 3" of cherry. Hole thing is 44" x 18". I would glue the front piece to the center maple as any standard panel glue-up (essentially). Then the two end pieces would be attached using a breadboard or sliding dovetail (or something similar) to allow for wood movement. Miters would also be glued.

Here's a quick mock-up of what I'm talking about.

Going through this in my mind, I can see this working as the center piece would be allowed to expand out the back. Or would this be just too risky with solid wood?

Blog Entries
    I did exactly what you are proposing on a bedroom set 2 dressers and two night stands for my son and his wife. The center portion does move with the seasons. In fact when the furniture was moved to Arizona for three years the top contracted almost more than 1/4", but has moved back since they returned east. Sliding dovetails will be harder to do but will work better int eh long run. Be sure to reinforce the corners with pocket screws from underneath to hold the miters tight.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Why use solid wood? At best the top will shrink over time. This is the perfect place to rip your own veneer from the solid wood you would have used for the top and veneer it to a piece of MDF. No one will know and the top will be perfectly stable.
    fmr

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Why use solid wood? At best the top will shrink over time. This is the perfect place to rip your own veneer from the solid wood you would have used for the top and veneer it to a piece of MDF. No one will know and the top will be perfectly stable.
    fmr
    Because I'm not set up for that kinda work. The piece of maple is 'special' as it's the remainder of what's left from the crib I built for our first child and this will be used in a dresser for the Mrs. and she's a bit sentimental about things like that.

And thanks Lee, good to know it can work and good idea with the pocket screws. I wouldn't have thought of that.
    Last edited by Craig Hemsath; 06-28-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Craig,
    This design has stood the test of time. Look at any 18th century secretary, the drop panel for the writing surface is designed like this. (albeit, with usually the panel itself forming the front edge, but since both grains are running the same direction - no functional difference)
    Build with confidence.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Thanks Mike. I'm going ahead with it. Never seen a top like this before. Good to know it works.

One last question. With a top like this, could I get away with securing the top with things like pocket screws since it'll be secured on the 'frame'?

Craig,
    Dont know why not, all the expansion will be in the panel and it is free to go out the back.
    BTW, remember to only glue the first couple inches on the side to allow for the wood to move.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!