Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which files for saw sharpening

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dickie View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I appreciate all the good advise I get at this web site. I look forward to my session.

Jeff
    Let us know how it goes.

Today, you are finding new things.

Tomorrow, you will be telling others new things.

That is the spirit that will keep forums like this going to our future generations.

Ask a little, learn a little, teach a little...

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The file should be about twice as wide as the height of the saw tooth. No more. This way each corner of the file as two fresh 60 degree angles. Of course you will have three sets of fresh sides and corners per file. I can do a couple of 26" saws with one file if a lot of tooth shaping isn't needed.

Jointing File

I haven't seen anyone metion the need for a jointing file. A flat mill file is commonly used I believe. There are fixtures to hold them as well. Such as the LV holder for sharpening card scrapers. Or just a block of wood to hold the file @ 90 deg.

I also think that reading the tutorial at www.vintagesaws.com is one of the best tools available for sharpening hand saws.

Good luck and have fun !
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I can do a couple of 26" saws with one file if a lot of tooth shaping isn't needed.
    Are you saying you can sharpen a saw twice before you replace the file? If not, how many sharpenings do you get from one file?

how many sharpenings do you get from one file?
    Depends on the quality of saw, size of saw, quality of file, amount of steel removed.

I shoot for one sharpening per corner, sometimes it works out, sometime not.

+1 on the saw jointer, although you don't need to do that every time.

If I remember correctly the Norse Woodsmith has a saw sharpening article that is quite good.
    Darnell