Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clear Finish over India Ink....

It is my understanding that the only de-waxed product from Zinsser's is the Seal Coat, which is a 2# cut, de-waxed product. I believe all the other to contain wax.

That said, even waxed shellac is apparently compatible with many finishes, and has been used by many over the years without difficulty. I think the problems arise with some of the new finishes, and particularly the waterbased finishes.

In fact, I often use the waxed shellac if I am out of the other, as a sealer under poly and other solvent based finishes, and I have never had an issue. Might 30 years from now, but honestly, those will be someone else's problem!!! Short of a miracle, I doubt I will be here.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    It is my understanding that the only de-waxed product from Zinsser's is the Seal Coat, which is a 2# cut, de-waxed product. I believe all the other to contain wax.

That said, even waxed shellac is apparently compatible with many finishes, and has been used by many over the years without difficulty. I think the problems arise with some of the new finishes, and particularly the waterbased finishes.

In fact, I often use the waxed shellac if I am out of the other, as a sealer under poly and other solvent based finishes, and I have never had an issue. Might 30 years from now, but honestly, those will be someone else's problem!!! Short of a miracle, I doubt I will be here.
    Interesting JK.. I dug deep on the rear of my rattlecan and found a very tiny print that said it contains "no wax". I was sure the regular Zinzer shellac did with only the Seal Coat not having it as you suggested. I tried to find the Zinser phone number but the site came up as bogus on my computer when I searched. It may be on the back of the can also and I will call to be sure.

Anyhoo.. I am about to spray from the rattlecan I have on the test piece. But.. I would really like to know for future reference if the spray does or does not?

Back to the shop before a quick shower and take the First Lady to dinner which contain "no wax".. well..... as far as I know. haha...

Have a good day good sir.... I will post the results tomorrow or latter in the evening.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

The aerosol can of shellac is indeed DE-WAXED.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Well, I happily stand corrected!! Very glad to hear that the spray can is de-waxed!! I will be getting a couple more to have available. It is so nice to use to seal in dyes, etc., but I was afraid of it with some of the finishes I use.

I am just used to writing fine print, not reading it!!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Scott Holmes View Post
    The aerosol can of shellac is indeed DE-WAXED.
    Thanks for the in-put on that Scott. The fine print says so but you have to look very close to find that as opposed to the quart of Zinsser Sealer which is clearly on the front.

Regards...
    Sarge..

India Ink works great. Like others have stated: you need to spray the first coat or you will have a cloudy mess after the finish lifts the ink off the wood.

Thanks to all that have lent a hand. Here are pictures of my test pieces. One is wiped on Zinsser Seal Coat from a can.. one brushed on Zinsser Seal Coat from a can.. the other two are Zinsser rattle-can. The India Ink is Speedball Super Black.. three wipe coats of semi-gloss poly applied over the shellac seal coat.

I will guess you can't distinquish which is sprayed.. wiped or brushed. Just a guess mind you! My wife probably could as she has a Hubble Tele-scope she has to look for flaws which is also a guess as she sure doesn't miss many. haha.. hahaha

At this point I think I might get lucky and get the ink on without a major snaffu. It's been a brief but fun learning experience but now I at least have a clue!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarge..