Thread: Cherry Vase with Crack

Cherry Vase with Crack

Small cherry vase, about 7" by 3.5" at it's widest. Finished with spray-on lacquer. I partially filled the crack with powdered ebony, then decided to leave it alone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

when you said cherry vase with "crack" i thought oh my dealing drugs eh...

nice crack with that vase...
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Mike, filling with ebony is a new one for me - but I bet it would work great if one had enough of it. Expensive filler!

Nice work on the vase, and the cherry sure has a bunch of character to it.

Really a nice looking vase Mike. Like the ebony fill.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Mike, filling with ebony is a new one for me - but I bet it would work great if one had enough of it. Expensive filler!

Nice work on the vase, and the cherry sure has a bunch of character to it.

John, hey, if you turn with it at all (or Blackwood, for that matter) you have plenty of shavings for filler!

I like the form on this one, and the rim treatment is nice.

I'm not sure about the crack... It makes me want to get out the dremel and see what I could come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    John, hey, if you turn with it at all (or Blackwood, for that matter) you have plenty of shavings for filler!
    Mike, when I turn finials, most all of it goes in the DC pickup, but there is always some that falls on the bench. I will need to start saving that stuff!!

Nice work Mike, I think the crack adds to the "look"! I'm gonna have to start saving some of my dark curlies and dust for filler as I think in some cases it REALLY adds to the overall appearance!

MMc

Nice form! Curious as to why you would only partially fill the crack. Just my opinion - but feel the vase would have more of a completed feel to it if the entire crack was filled.

I like using Ebony as a filler and, like you, saved my shavings after turning a finial. That stuff sure is black!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Nice form! Curious as to why you would only partially fill the crack. Just my opinion - but feel the vase would have more of a completed feel to it if the entire crack was filled.

I like using Ebony as a filler and, like you, saved my shavings after turning a finial. That stuff sure is black!
    Got lazy!