Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost my hunting buddy today.

Lost my hunting buddy today.

For the past couple weeks, i have been dealing with our dog Sugar. She was sick, but after a couple days got better, get sick get better, etc. These past couple weeks have been awful, not knowing what to do during the bad times, then being relieved when the dog perked back up..... it was not fun.

Last night she took a downward spiral. Me being me, told the family lets see how she does today. At 2 pm, Anna stopped in and said make an appointment. I did, it was for tomorrow afternoon.

At 3:00, son Michael called and said Sugar had fallen down the basement steps. I drive home, call the vet and ask if we could come in immediately. They said yes. I picked Sugar up, put her in the van and carried her into the vets office. We go right into an examining room and before I set her down, she was gone.

She was a great bird dog, not just a good dog.... a great bird dog. I don't get much time away from the shop, but for the past couple years, I did spend a few afternoons with Sugar walking fence rows and traversing stubble (corn) fields while Quail hunting.

The worst part is that Anna is blaming me for the dog dying. Hopefully, she will realize its all part of a life cycle and not anyone's fault.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Only those who really know dogs can understand. I know this from experience. I'm sorry to read this, even though I don't know you at all. When our Golden left us, three years ago, my wife said it's a bittersweet thing that dogs live such short lives. But damnit, they manage to compress a lot of love in that short time span!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    ... I did spend a few afternoons with Sugar walking fence rows and traversing stubble (corn) fields while Quail hunting.
    Probably the best afternoons of Sugar's life. I honestly believe, the know when they're going. They muster that last bit of strength to say goodbye, in the way they know best, by just being your friend.

It may seem corny to some people, but I have always taken comfort in the old poem, "Rainbow Bridge":

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor.
    Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
    His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers.
    Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted,
    and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
    The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head,
    and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

John, that is a beautiful poem.

Today Sugar was in the laundry/mud room (her home) she never came inside the house, however, she walked in twice today.

I really think you are right. She wanted to say good bye.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Joe,

My condolences on the lost of your hunting partner and four legged friend. It's been nearly 15 years since we lost our samoyed. I miss her company still.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Joe - my heart goes out to you in your loss. I am sure Sugar had a great life and will be missed by everyone in your family!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Joe, from one dog lover to another, I feel your pain.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I don't think I will own another dog, until I'm sure it will out live me. I don't think I could go through that again..

Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine how it feels but all I can think of when the time comes with ours it won't be easy. She is our first dog. I've surprised my wife when I brought her home from shelter during some very difficult times a year or so ago. She became an integral part of our lives. I became to learn that every dog is the best dog.

Dogs are here such a very short time, but the joy they bring and the way they enrich our lives is so wonderful. I miss the company of my dog in some way almost every day. I'm saddened to hear of your loss and I hope that the good memories will help sustain you through this time of grief.

Losing a field companion, friend, buddy is very tough, luckily the memories are priceless. It's been six years since I lost my Golden, he was a great guy, the best.
    Condolences
    Blood will flow when flesh and steel are one - Sting

Blog Entries
    I feel your pain. The Brittany we have now is the first hunting dog I've ever had and he is great to go hunting with. His nose is unbelievable. He's just four so hopefully we'll have lots of years together.

The best cure for the sadness of losing a dog is bringing home the new one after an appropriate period of mourning.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

12. Joe,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I lost my 14 year old hunting buddy on the 4th of July weekend. Not a day goes by that I don't still hear her collar rattle or her nails on the hardwood floor. It's a bitter sweet reminder of what we have lost but also of the joy that she shared with us for those 14 years.

Joe,
    I share your grief. A good dog is the best of friends. I'm sorry for your loss.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Joe,

I feel for you. I lost my buddy July 8th, tomorrow will be 2 weeks ago. It still feels weird here. Someone is missing. My buddy wasn't quite 6 yet. He died of something called EIC excerise induced collapse. My wife went running with him, he made 1/2 mile started panting excessively and wouldn't move. She came back and got me, by the time I got there with the truck he was on the ground breathing heavy but unresponsive. I headed into town to the vet and about 3 miles from town he died in the bed of the truck. Still beats me up, he was a super hunting dog as is everyone's The toughest part of his death was he has run mile after mile recently and was in excellent condition, but that thursday was his day to go I guess.

The solution to my grief was another dog and fast. I will be picking up the new one next weekend. The death of this dog beat me up so much, I can't imagine what would happen if I lost a child. But this wont be the last dog I lose, I just hope it doesn't happen so unexpected again.

Take care Joe, I will toast one to Sugar and Newman.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry Joe, not much more can be said but sorry.
    Be well.