Thread: Any Woodsucker owners here?

Any Woodsucker owners here?

I was reading the HUGE wealth of info over at Bill Pentz' site and finally saw a recommendation for the Woodsucker. It seems like a good system. Though, I'm wondering why you have to keep a plastic bag wrapped around the filter. Isn't the purpose of the filter to stop the dust from coming back into the air and doesn't the plastic bag keep any air at all from coming thru the filter???

Cliff, with filters, you can have the dust either enter the filter from the inside qnd exit to the outside (with no bag), or you can put an enclosure around the filter, (in this case, a bag), and have the clean air exit out through the inside of the filter's end. I haven't looked at this unit up close, but believe it is of the latter design. Remember, that even Onieda used an internal filter on some previous models. The thinking on the bag around the filter is that you have more filter area to collect dust that can be shaken off and down into the bag, but I highly prefer the other method with no bag. If this isn't the case with the Woodsucker design, will someone please correct me, as I'm just guessing, since I haven't seen one up close and personal.

Norman, you hit it right on the head with your explanation! Good job. Yes, that is precisely how it works and works well, I might add! For my installation, it's a double-bonus. My shop has a common wall between it and the garage. The Woodsucker is on the garage side, keeping all the noise and such out there. Besides giving my the greater surface area for filtering, it also allows me to incorporate a nice return air duct back into the shop. So, the Woodsucker AND the filtering take up zero real estate in the shop proper. I used HVAC type insulated flex tube for the return air, which also acts as a muffler. There are times I forget the thing is even running!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having the unit outside the shop. I did build a closet around it to cut down on the noise which it does fairly well. I have found the unit to be well built and work very well. I researched lots on Bill Pentz's website and other places, compared the Oneida and the Woodsucker and couldn't see where the Oneida was worth the extra dollars. Is Oneida a good Cyclone? I think it is but so is the Woodsucker and for a whole lot less money. No regrets on my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox
    Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having the unit outside the shop. I did build a closet around it to cut down on the noise which it does fairly well.
    Steve,

I also am in the similar situation as you and placed my woodsucker enclosed within the shop. The enclosure significantly cut down on the noise with some soundboard inside it. Most of the time I have the dust collector on I will be wearing hearing protection anyways. John cleared up my thoughts on the bag, which for some reason my brain had not fully integrated how it worked, so thanks John.

I have owned a Woodsucker for about 3 years and am very pleased with the unit. Mine is located in the shop. I wear hearing protection when I have the unit on for more than a few minutes. I don't find that to be annoying and some of the other equipment requires it anyway.

I have only used 3 filter bags in 3 years (on the 3rd one now) and I am not sure I had to change any on them. None developed a leak, I just thought it was time to change them. If I were buying again I would buy another Woodsucker.

john in Birmingham

Im a woodsucker owner also. I LOVE IT. Dont belive all the marketing hype. Real world results for shows my woodsucker has left my shop virtually dust free. I am sure all the others do the same so for the money you can not beat woodsucker.

GregH

Also am considering a woodsucker, was wondering what is the type of pipe
    I see in the pictures? Looks like ordinary forced air heating pipe. Was of
    the impression this type of pipe is not strong enough and will collapse under
    the suction? Is this a concern? Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew
    was wondering what is the type of pipe I see in the pictures? Looks like ordinary forced air heating pipe. Was of the impression this type of pipe is not strong enough and will collapse under the suction? Is this a concern?
    Typical 30 guage HVAC pipe is inappropriate, but many of us use 26 or 24 guage snap-lock for dust collection. One must source the lateral wyes from a dust collection concern, however, as the HVAC units are "backwards" from a flow/crimp standpoint.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There has been a lot of discussion about the risks of stactic discharge and the risk of explosion from dust and the subsequent fire.

After doing a lot reading I went with ungrounded PVC sewer and drain pipe. I have used it for over 3 years and have NEVER had an instance of static disharge that I am aware of. I realize that many people feel that metal and or plastic with grounded pipe is the only safe way to go, but many people now doubt that, and there is a substantial body of research to back it up. So, if you are open to the idea, do a little research on the web and see what you find.

Some advantages of going with PVC are:

It is much cheaper, as little as 1/3 the cost when you have a lot of "Y" connectors (those things are very precious in metal).

It is easier to install. I installed mine completely by myself using a small platform. Initially I put everything together with duct tape thinking it was temporary and I would have to rearrange the fittings. I found that in almost all case (straight runs, no gravity) the duct tape is virtually permanent. No leaks. Where the runs are vertical I used screws (which were sized to not obsruct the inside of the piping) and some sealant, but not much. It is very easy to rearrange when you add or take away a machine. Did I mention it's a lot cheaper?

Either way you go, you will be pleased with the Woodsucker.

good luck

john in birmingham

John, you are correct that in the home shop, there is little or no danger of safety issues with using PVC or ABS duct work. It has a lot going for it. The one down-side is the limited size availablity which might make for compromises in performance with some systems, but again, in the home shop, most folks are not going for the most "scientifically optimized" duct system!! Cost often rates far higher. I started with metal and have stayed with it. If I ever rebuilt my shop, I might consider using the plastic material, but only because of the easy installation without lacerations on my hands...assuming I could get the sizes appropriate for my system, which at present is not the case.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I went with 6" PVC for the mains, and dropped down to 4" to some of the runs, and all the machines. If I were doing it again I would go with 6" for all the mains, use 6" for the drops, and just use the adaptors and 4" flex hose at the machines. All the 6" and all the connectors needed are available at my local Lowes store. It may be available cheaper yet at some of the supply houses.