Thread: Question for Toto toilet owners

Question for Toto toilet owners

I'm considering a Toto. Toto's installation instructions specifically state to not use in-tank bowl cleaners because chlorine-related products can damage fittings in the tank. Is this really an issue or is Toto just covering their a**? I've used Clorox tablets in my old toilet for years without any problems.

I'd take this Q to TerryLove.com They'll give you the real poop on toilets. Terry's a big fan of Toto's to boot.

I've had a Toto in my basement for about 4 years and have used all kinds of cleaners on it. Seems to hold up just as well - if not better - than the other bowls I have in my home.

I just had to replace three flappers(Toto) They looked like wilted lettuce. Probable suspect was tank mounted blue cleaner, but I can't say for sure. They were about six years old.
    Mick

I don't know what a Toto toilet is so I can't respond to how the cleaners will impact them. Following the manufacturers advice is generally a good idea.
    I used the tank type cleaners in my standard toilets before I knew about the damage that cleaners can do to the rubber seals and gaskets. Like Mickey I had problems with the rubber materials breaking down. The more sophisticated toilets tend to have a lot more rubber type items in the tanks so I would not take a chance on ruining an expensive toilet.
    David B

Blog Entries
    Many plastics don't stand up to chlorinated agents, making them brittle (which leads to cracking/breaking)... same with rubber and hardening. It's not something I would chance, regardless of what the manual says.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5