Thread: Rowmark Cutting Issue

Rowmark Cutting Issue

I am engraving and then cutting out 2" x 2" "tags" out of Romark using a brushed gold surface with black core.

When cutting, when the laser head moves left to right and right to left the cut looks very good. When the laser is moving from top to bottom the cut looks good. However, when the laser is cutting the last line of the box from bottom to top it is cutting the "metal" surface kinda rough.

It is almost like the edge is beveled.

Has anyone experienced this and know what is going on and maybe how to fix it?
    Garrick D. Crocker
    Gainesville, Fl

PowerSharp 16 w/rotary
    Corel X3
    Zenbot, Mach 3, VCarve
    48" ValueJet, 54" Vinyl Cutter

Any chance of posting a photo of it?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have always noticed that the x axis cuts better than the Y, it's probably a matter of how smothly the head glides left to right on the rail compared to moving the entire rail up and down the Y. You merely set the power and speed to get the best cut on the Y, the X will be at least as smooth. I have not seen this problem on the 1/16" Rowmark, though, only on thicker items, so maybe your focus is off, or need to clean lens/mirrors.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Lens was dirty (and damaged). Case solved.
    Garrick D. Crocker
    Gainesville, Fl

PowerSharp 16 w/rotary
    Corel X3
    Zenbot, Mach 3, VCarve
    48" ValueJet, 54" Vinyl Cutter