Thread: Question on style of bandsaw.

Question on style of bandsaw.

I'm getting more serious about buying a bandsaw and am now wondering which style to get. I've decided I'll have to stick to a 14" model due to cost. I won't be cutting any big logs down to size since I can't lift or carry them. I'll be dealing with chunks that weigh less than 20 pounds and are mostly 6" to 8" round or square. There may be times I'd like something a little bigger but I'm not sure.

This style
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1
    can't have a riser block added. In 14" models I can find an 8" resaw capacity maximum.

This style
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-...-Bandsaw/G0555
    lets you add a riser block for a 12" resaw capacity.

Here are my thoughts. I often find wood for a project that's just too big. As an example, I might be looking for a 4x4x8" piece, which is hard to find, but run into a beautiful, reasonably priced chunk that's 8x8x4". I think to myself that I could cut it in half to get what I need and with the leftovers, cut them in half lengthwise and resaw them in half for 4 pieces that are 4x4x2" for smaller items I make.
    Am I just goofy? (don't answer that.) Is it realistic to think I'd use it this way or should I forget about resaw capacity? btw, I've looked for used ones locally and it's all junk. Older Crafstman 12" with the tilting head or Harbor Freight. Decent brands are listed near the new retail cost ($400 to $700 for 14" delta and jet). I'll have to buy new, on sale.
    Thanks for the help.

For wood turners the most important features in a band saw are resaw height and power. Get as much of both as you can afford. IMO 12" height needs 1-1/2 hp minimum but more would be better.

I have the slightly larger version of the grizzly(the 0513 I think). I use it the way you describe almost without exception. I've been very happy with the grizzly I've got, but I don't know anything about the Craftsman.

I'll bet there has been a tool comparison on bandsaws in that size within the last couple of years in one of the mainstream woodworking magazines so you might search a few of the websites. You might also check with the flat work guys on the other parts of SMC for opinions about bandsaws in that size/price range.

You mention that cost is a factor in your bandsaw selection but you didn't say what your max is. In a 14 inch bandsaw I don't think that you can beat the value in a Rikon. I have examined it and am impressed. It has a 1 1/2 HP motor and a 13 inch resaw (depth of cut). I'm seriously thinking of buying one myself.

Cost is about $800 which may be more than you plan to pay. IMO when you buy shop equipment, tools, machinery etc. you'll always be thankful later if you stretch your budget a bit and get the tool that'll do the job.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 07-31-2010 at 12:25 PM.

I have the Grizzly G0555X. It is 1 1/2 hp and has did everything I have needed it to. I would definitely get at least 1 1/2 hp as I had one of the C-man 1 hp and it was almost helpless when cutting thicker blanks up to 6". Of course a good blade 3 tpi is a must.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Rikon

I got the Rikon that Wally mentions. I am very happy with it. I got it on sale for $100 off at Woodcraft. Much better resaw capacity than my old Delta 14" one.
    Chris

Grizzly

I have a G514x2 Very happy with it! For this you need 220. Great bandsaw! G

I have the Craftsman (220 was not an option in my current shop space) and it has worked well for me but I have not cut anything much more than 4" on it. It has guide bearing not blocks, which is a big plus.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I've got the same bandsaw as Bernie --- an absolute piece of junk! I guess he got the only good one they made.

Try checking your local CL. I saw a "new" 16" Jet for $600 today.

More resaw, stiffer frame and more hp is always good in a bandsaw.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I've got the Rikon 14" deluxe, and have pushed it pretty much to its capacity with lots of 14" cherry and oak. I'm extremely happy with it. It's a workhorse.

I'd take a hard look at the Rikon. W/C has it on sale for 699 quite often, at least 3 times this year. A friend bought one. Good saw. These are the times when I have to think why I spent money on a PM 14". Oh, the Rikon wasn't made yet.... If it were, I'd pick that up instead and save some bucks..... It has more capacity than my PM with riser too. Buy a blade. The stock blade is not very good.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up bandsaw

tim, i bought a g 514x2 three years ago and have never been sorry. if i was going to buy a smaller saw i would definitly buy another grizzly, their tech staff is very helpful also. good luck ed

I appreciate everyone's input on my question.
    That Rikon looks sweet. I'm convinced I need to get at least 1.5hp so I may need to hold off and save more and I'll continue watching CL. I'll probably go with 220v since my shop has its own electric service.
    Thanks again for the help.