Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Table Saw dilemma

I found a gem last week that is one of those finds that you don't see in months worth of browsing Craigslist. It was a hobbyist selling a well taken care of Powermatic 66 3HP 220V cabinet saw for $600.

I wonder if somebody on this forum bought it this weekend, because I felt like buying it for the heck of it though I'm not supposed to be spending right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Check out the Ridgid stationary tablesaws. They get good reviews for the price.

I believe HD has discontinued the granite top hybrid and is replacing it with a better model. You might be able to find the defunct granites at a discount or you cld wait for the new replacements (this fall?).
    Stores here in Cincinnati had this saw for $399 just a month or so ago.
    May want to look at your local HD.

Not sure if it was this exact model or not but here is a link.
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4511-Ta...w/EN/index.htm

My HD does not show it on the web but they did have them in the store.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    At that budget, I'd keep scouring your local CL for a used cabinet or hybrid saw. You should eventually be able to get your hands on a decent General, Delta, Grizzly for around $500.

You're done with the benchtops...time to move to the next level.
    I agree 100% with Victor, but it will take some time to find a good deal and a nice saw. There are many people selling really poorly maintained tools on CL and/or ask too much. A few wasted trips will help you know what to look out for, but that magic day will come when you are in a shop or garage that looks like it could double as an operating room and you will come face to face with a wonderful power tool going for a song. Okay, a little too optimistic here, but it did happen to me once (jointer).

Thanks for all the info guys!

As for the PC saw, the trunnions appear to be mounted on the cabinet. Are the trunnions the gears that turn to raise and lower the blade along with the left hand tilt? The gears appear to be nylon, but they could be cast iron. I will check it out.

Russell! I think I will take you up on the parts. PM'd ya!

Thanks a bunch guys!

Michael, what part of the country are you in? I just bought a Ridgid 4511 from HD for $399 with 12 mo same as cash. I know for a fact they have one left here in Lincoln, Ne on the shelf. I looked forever for a nice used decent saw and got lucky one night walking thru and saw the 4511 in the aisle. I haven't used it a lot, but it's a beast of a saw for $400!! With the granite top its a nice 450lbs and very vibration free. The Herculift is nice as well for moving it around!!

As the others have said.....depending on where you live you might get lucky with local used....but it didn't work out that way for me.

Good Luck!!

Hard to do better than a General for conventional saws.

Without wanting to step on any one else whose opinions will differ:
    Do not be swayed by options like splitters and guards. It's not important and if you really care, you can add it later on.