Thread: High quality hardwood ply?

Blog Entries

High quality hardwood ply?

I am about to start in on another set of room height bookshelves. My last set was about 14' long and 8' tall. I was pleased with most of the methods and materials that I used except for the walnut plywood (voids were present, some of the sheets were not straight, etc.). I of course swapped the bent sheets with my supplier but that takes time.

For this next project, I would like to see if there are any better products available. Ideally the material would be 3/4" (plywood 3/4"), void-free, 'thick' surface veneers, and be very strong. I'm thinking of Appleply quality but with a good 1/32"+ or so hardwood surface veneer (walnut, cherry, etc.) so I could lightly sand. Has anyone encountered a product that meets these requirements? Pre-finished sheets is another thing that I would consider if the quality level is there.

My alternate solution will be to buy sheets of veneer and vacuum seal it to Appleply (not attractive economically in terms of $$$+time).

Any thoughts or recommendations?

There are firms that will make custom plywood. Way out of my personal experience, and likely not cheap.

In my experience, there is no alternative that is like apply ply. I've also found that true Finnish Birch and Applply now have voids too. It's disappointing.

Greg, I did a project with walnut ply and it was beautiful, void-less and essentially perfect. However, it was not cheap. A little over $100 for a 3/4" 4x8 and a little less than $100 for a 1/2 sheet. The dealer has the same quality in cherry, maple or just about anything. Since I am on the East Coast and you are on the west, I can't be of too much help, but I have to imagine the right place is there somewhere for you.

P.S. I thought it was funny that I was able to get a nice pile of walnut 4/4 hardwood stock for much less than the plywood!

I am not sure of the manufacturer name, but my local supplier is getting plywood out of south america, and it has been really nice. I don't have to worry about sanding it and there are virtually no voids, but some.

HTH

Greg, have you given the folks at Mr. Plywood or Crosscut Hardwoods a call? They'll probably have something that meets your needs.

Greg, we did a set of large book shelves this spring with a built in desk unit and the sheet product used was a walnut ply core with MDF as the last substrate before the veneer. It was void free, perfectly flat and relatively easy to work with. It was a AA product, and I think it was in the $140 per sheet range? I don't know the manufacturer but it was not a custom order and was available with a small lead time from our local plywood distributer.

It was basically a 1/2" ply core, maybe a 7 ply core, with two layers of 1/8" MDF then the veneers. They weren't thick veneers but they weren't tissue paper either. Much like the M&M guys, I can tell you it does exist!

I used to buy lots of hardwood plywood in the 70's and 80's. Mostly oak and birch that had veneer faces about 1/32" thick and a few tiny voids. Walnut and Teak faces were thinner more like 1/64" ,even back then.

I would see the stock in person or specify the veneer on a big order today.In the past 5 years I have seen very thin Oak and Birch face veneers at several suppliers, so thin (maybe 1/100") that it's nearly un-sandable.

Blog Entries
    Greg, I did a project with walnut ply and it was beautiful, void-less and essentially perfect. However, it was not cheap. A little over $100 for a 3/4" 4x8 and a little less than $100 for a 1/2 sheet.
    8x4 walnut (1 side finish grade, 1 side paint grade) ran $120 a sheet for me. The strange thing is that we have some HUGE walnut trees in this area. They probably get shipped to the east coast, processed, and then shipped back :-).

Heath, Crosscut is where I got the ply from. They were very accommodating from a customer service standpoint but basically what they had was the best stuff that they could source. I will try Mr. Plywood but I imagine that both stores source from the same companies. The regular walnut ply would have been OK if I was not so picky about finish. I had to use grain filler and multiple finishing steps to get the surface glass-smooth and the grain popped. That takes awhile on 8x4 sheets of ply.

Blog Entries
    There is a place in New York called Roberts Plywood.I used them before and they have an outstanding selection. They deal mostly with commericial accounts soI don't knowif they would be a good alternative.