Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural Edge

Natural Edge

Here is another natural edge bowl. It's actually part of a 5 piece nesting set that will be going to the gallery tomorrow. Once the nesting set pictures are processed I will post them as well.

Maple bowl finished in walnut oil
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Johnathan,

Really nice bowl. I like the form and the NE really sets off the light color of the wood itself. Great looking photo as well, the natural setting for the NE bowl.

Nice work, thanks for sharing it with us!

Very, very nice. I look forward to the photos of the set.

Extremely nice piece. Can't wait to see the photo's.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's really nice. I love the photo as well.

Jonathan, I love the bowl - just a very nice piece. Beautiful form, and really pleasing to look at as is all your work.

But, at the risk of taking some hits here, I have some comments on the photograph. Please understand that I AM NOT a photographer..by any stretch of the imagination. But, this was my first impression and my opinion only!! Lord knows, I have posted my share of bad pics! And, obviously from the inscription, I am taking on a professional photographer! Please - no hate mail!

For my tastes, the bowl is too small in the pic, and placed too high. The visual center of that pic, for me, is the center of the lower third - and that is where the log is!

I love the lighting, and the whole setting. But, I would prefer a landscape (wide) pic, with the bowl more prominent and visually centered lower in the pic - perhaps so the NE was in the dead center of the pic. I do like a little of the vine from the bottom, so maybe pull that up on the top of the log so it shows.

There ya' go - no punchbacks!!

Nice form on the NE there.The bark brings out the color in the bowl.
    Donny

Nice!!

Jonathan very Nice NE. Well done! G

Nice looking bowl Jonathan! Looking forward to seeing the nested set!

Have to agree with John on photo composition. It is artful!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice NE. This has a shape that works for me. Looking forward to seeing the set.

I hope you don't mind, but I cropped your pic a bit. Was this more of the composition you guys were referring to? I love the bowl, did you use a coring tool to make them nested?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nate Davey; 08-06-2010 at 7:17 PM.

Nate, that suits me better, but I guess it is Johnathan that needs to feel good about this pic. How come you didn't pull some of that vine up on top of that log!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Davey View Post
    I hope you don't mind, but I cropped your pic a bit. Was this more of the composition you guys were referring to? I love the bowl, did you use a coring tool to make them nested?
    +3 on the cropping. The scale of the bark and the size of the log took away from your bowl. The background is great and the idea is good. Wonder how it would look on a small gray or contrasting rock with the background the same?
    Anyway we'll save my comments for the photo forums
    Your bowl looks great. I really like NE bowls. It's like magic seeing the top shape appear while hollowing it out.

Hats off to you, after seeing this post a day ago, last night i wanted to make a nice ne bowl, well, after dodging flying pieces, i ended up with a real nice platter. maybe i'll do it tonight, maybe i'll have 2 nice platters..... anyways, great NE bowl.

Very nice NE bowl. Great form nice sweeping arc. I like the photo as well, The cropped photo is better for the bowl IMHO.

Great Work

Alan