Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IKEA cabinet parts.

From my experience, Ikea stuff is the most precisely machined KD furnitue you can buy. It's amazing what they can do for the price.

As Jim says, though, you do get what you pay for. The really cheap stuff is, well, cheaply made. But the more expensive stuff it top notch. We've got a bunch of Ikea stuff, and have never had anything but great experiences with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jay, there are absolutely some furniture that Ikea sells that is less than worthy. But there are other things that they sell that are better constructed and better values than what you'll find at most mass market furniture stores.
    Funny all the responses to my post are talking about the quality of the items. Well, I never complained about the quality. I was complaining about the customer service.

I never looked at their kitchen cabinets. I might if we would ever redo the kitchen. But from previous experience it will be tough for me to walk through the door. I can understand missing a screw or nail but missing an entire piece is something one would expect at Walmart.

To repeat, and as Jim and Gerry say. In the general sense you need to check what you are buying carefully, as across the ranges they they pitch stuff at distinct quality levels. (that's quality of materials, it's all well made)

There's melamine foil covered stuff, which is usually called something like 'birch effect', 'oak effect' or whatever.

Then there's veneered stuff, which is specifically listed as veneer. e.g. these cabinets which I have some of: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/30147562

They are veneered all over (inside and outside), and very well finished indeed.

Kitchens mix veneer and other drawer and door finishes with foil covered cabinets: e.g. http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S29852508 I don't do far as i can remember ever seeing item (cabinets or doors) that mix finishes or colours.

Either way the design (if you like contemporary) and quality are top notch...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 08-07-2010 at 8:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Radke View Post
    Funny all the responses to my post are talking about the quality of the items. Well, I never complained about the quality. I was complaining about the customer service.

I never looked at their kitchen cabinets. I might if we would ever redo the kitchen. But from previous experience it will be tough for me to walk through the door. I can understand missing a screw or nail but missing an entire piece is something one would expect at Walmart.
    As usual, Mr. Becker is spot on.

With respect to customer service.......

Low price
    High quality
    Great service

Pick any two, you're not going to get all three.

Ikea kitchens are high quality at a low price. You give back some of the savings in having to deal with the logistical issues.

I just finished a full kitchen remodel using a combination of existing cabinet boxes, IKEA cab boxes and new non IKEA custom doors for everything.

I am not a big fan of IKEA quality in general, but a carpenter friend used them to build his kitchen (with added doors).

Everyone's positive comments echo my experience. A couple of additional observations.

1. We bought 1 AKRUM door ($20 ish) to use as a template for all our door work. It saves a lot of time -- and guarantees you get a good hinge fit. Plus, door thickness is metric rather than 3/4 which might matter in certain circumstances.

2. Since we were combining old and new, there were several instances where IKEA sizing did not precisely work (e.g. new cab over old oven cab). I bought slightly larger IKEA boxes and cut them to size. Very easy with no loss of quality.

3. I don't think anyone has mentioned that IKEA has a great upper mounting system -- paticularly if you are a solo builder. You mount a metal rail to the wall and attach the cabs via special hardware to the rail. As long as the rail is level, you can position (and tweak their position) the cabs by simply moving them on the rail. Then, you just lock it all down by tightening the hardware.

4. The cabs are durable enough to survive heavy use once they are mounted. However, they are "light" enough that they are very vulnerable to damage prior to completion, ie. edge chipping before assembly, film/veneer chipping out if you back out a screw, total destruction if your cab drops prior to mounting (don't ask how I know this).

5. Tip1: take the time to very carefully square the boxes before you nail on the back. It's essential to a good fit.

6. Tip2. the only assembly problem involves the nailing of the back panels. The rabbeted side panels receiving the back is very thin, and makes it very easy to drive the nails through the side panel rather than into the side panel. This error is amplified by the thin veneer which blows out if you misplace a nail. Fix is simple: take care while nailing the back.

Hope this all helps.

Ken

Believe it or not, there is one thing holding me back... This is so superficial. I noticed that on all Ikea drawers, even though it is Blum hardware, it has an Ikea badge. I do not want an advertisement every time I go for a fork or spoon. Also, when I sell the house some day I want them paying attention to my fabulous shop made doors and drawer fronts and not thinking "cheap Ikea." I wonder if there is way to remove them without making it look bad?

Like this: http://www.cliffdwellings.net/kitchen%20drawers.JPG

In my experience, the kitchen cabinets are very well engineered. I especially like the track hanging system used for uppers. It makes a difficult one man job into a simple one man job. Some years ago, when I redid our kitchen, I went with Ikea and did the whole project for $thousands less than any other source. Of course I went to Canada and got a break on the exchange rate (I do live close). Interestingly, the prices on the Canadian Ikea were about 5% lower than US so the savings was even compounded. Since all their stuff comes flat, I was able to carry the entire kitchen in my pickup. I have also installed Ikea in customers kitchens (when I was still building, I'm older and wiser now). Well, maybe not wiser!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    Believe it or not, there is one thing holding me back... This is so superficial. I noticed that on all Ikea drawers, even though it is Blum hardware, it has an Ikea badge. I do not want an advertisement every time I go for a fork or spoon. Also, when I sell the house some day I want them paying attention to my fabulous shop made doors and drawer fronts and not thinking "cheap Ikea." I wonder if there is way to remove them without making it look bad?

Like this: http://www.cliffdwellings.net/kitchen%20drawers.JPG
    I'm pretty sure that the IKEA "badge" is a plastic snap-in option that can easily be removed (or not installed).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    Believe it or not, there is one thing holding me back... This is so superficial. I noticed that on all Ikea drawers, even though it is Blum hardware, it has an Ikea badge.
    Cover Caps with Blum name on them is Blum part # ZAA.330C.BT
    You can also get them custom printed with your own company name.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    Cover Caps with Blum name on them is Blum part # ZAA.330C.BT
    You can also get them custom printed with your own company name.
    Can someone give a link. Not sure what all are taking about.

By the way. Good discussion , glad I started the thread.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Another option is to use a company like www.cabparts.com they supply the boxes you do the rest. Melamine is standard but they will do what you want for an upcharge. I would use the option they have of confirmats to assemble the boxes.
    Tom

Well, at least I am not alone in being so brand conscious! Thanks.

This is all quite interesting. Anyone have some photos of their IKEA/custom hybrid cabinets for a look?

Richard

The aformentioned ikeafans forum has quite a gallery of photos.

Do they make anything out of plywood in the kitchen department or is it all thermo foil?