Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Don't They Make Dumb Phones?

I just got a Droid X. I absolutely HATE the thing. I want my Blackberry back!

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, really like my Droid (1). I think I would like the Droid X better as it gets rid of the (mostly) unused keyboard. If I wanted a keyboard and was in the market for a new phone, I'd consider the Droid 2.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Mike,

Did the phone include a manual?

I bought a GPS yesterday evening at Costco.]

It came with a 4 page manual. If you aren't computer literate, you would be in a world of hurt with that thing.
    My GPS has a 200+ page manual, it is called a Thomas Guide.

If I want the power to go out, all I have to do is set the time, date and outgoing message on our cordless phone.

We have the Samsung brick cell phone. I am not sure why. Most of my use is to find my wife when she has wondered off when we are shopping. That is especially frustrating. I will ask her if she brought her cell phone when we leave home. We do not get any signal at home.

She answers that she has it in her bag.

Now I have to remember to ask if it is turned on. To me, it only seems natural to turn it on if you are going to bring it along. Not to her. She wasn't expecting any calls.

The thing I now hate is that T-Mobile has decided that they need to send me text messages all the time. Of course, I do not receive them until I hit a spot where I get a signal. I do suffer from noise startle syndrome. There is a fancy medical name for it, but knowing what it is called doesn't make it go away. I often jump when the phone rings or at other sudden noises. My wife gets great entertainment when we are watching a movie and I jump at the same places as the last time we watched the movie.

Anyway, I will be on the highway and get in range of the nearest cell tower. All of a sudden some God awful noise blasts from my shirt pocket and causes my blood pressure to jump 50 points and it is all I can do to stay on the road. Thanks T-Mobile.

That Jitter-Bug sounds good. As long as they do not want to keep telling me about world events and other special offers to scare the heck out of me.

jim
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-13-2010 at 2:48 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There are still dumb phones, though Verizon calls them "Feature" phones. I just upgraded and refused to get a phone that required an additional minimum $9.99 or more for data time. I can check e-mail and access mobile internet at $1.99/MB if needed, but went for a new model flip phone that is durable to military specs. Yes, I may drop it from a high ladder, and it should survive. I have had it just two days but am very happy with it. Samsung Convoy.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    Jim,

Any chance you have mild autism (Aspberger's, etc.)?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    A vote for Jitterbug. We were paying nearly $80/month to ATT for a service we didn't use. We have been on Jitterbug for a year, and our out the door cost is $37/mo for two phones with their own numbers. If you don't use your allocation of minutes per month, they roll over automatically. Jitterbug uses Verizon as it carrier. I have only list service once and that was on the Oregon high desert when we were 100 miles from nowhere.

The actual phones are made by Samsung.
    Like all phones you have to look at the cost vs minutes etc....
    I buy the one year service at a time and TracFone cost me $8.34 month.
    Unused minutes rollover each year. I only use about 1/2 each year. Most times when camping etc... My phone will be the only one working. Funny everyone with their I-phones, blackberry's etc with plans at $50+ a month and they are all needing to use my phone I got for $5 at Dollar General.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 08-13-2010 at 4:44 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I dunno...I use my cell phone to make, uh, well...phone calls. That's it. My wife still has her RAZR from 5 years ago and I have a newish Samsung A430 (or something like that). Nothing fancy...no data plans, might send 1 text a month...never use the camera...I have the cheapest plan I could get with a 22% corporate discount and I still have thousands of rollover minutes that I'll never touch. hmmm, might be time to look at my plan again....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The only dumb phones that I have had were the ones that made me feel dumb for having spent money on them. The Palm Pre for instance, there was a phone that deserved to be dropped in the toilet, and for a manual it only had pictures... apparently it was supposed to be "easy" but if you had more than a brain stem, then it was probably a little too "easy". I apparently hadn't "brushed up" on my modern heiroglyphs. Talk about cheap... only using pictures so you don't have to translate anything into more than one language. My Sprint account (of 12 years) was cancelled after they were "less than willing" to help a long time customer get a suitable phone. One that you could actually answer and call out on.

I have been happy with my I phone, but I like to text... I know, I know... Younger generation all running around with "hammer thumbs" from texting. I personally don't care to talk on the phone, unless it is business. I prefer the cold impersonal (like me) nature of the written word

I'm loving my Android phone (EVO 4G here.) Easy to use and very powerful though sometimes it fixes words for me in ways I don't want. Posting this from it..

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    I just got a Droid X. I absolutely HATE the thing. I want my Blackberry back!
    i just replaced an iphone 3g with a motorola krzr (same phone i had before the iphone).

made a profit on it too. sold the iphone for 140 bucks, bought the krzr with no contract brand new for 80 bucks.

and i guarantee you the woman who bought the iphone from me charged it twice before i charged the motorola once.

i get people who ride the subway for an hour to get to work every day wanting a computer-capable phone. that makes sense. but for me that fad is over with. if i plan on traveling far enough away from home that i need to get online to look for something, i'll bring my laptop anyways, so why do i need that on a phone?

I have been using a cell phone as my only business phone for about 10 years. It's saved me a lot of money over the ATT business plan land line I had to have at the time.

Since almost all of my transactions are done over the internet I thought it would be great to have a phone which could alert me to email messages as well. I do like that part of it.

T-Mobil and, I think, all other carriers, require internet or messaging service on smart phones. With T-Mobile I pay $20 per month for full service and I have a 1500 minute per month anytime plan at 39.99 per month.

I have a friend who has the I phone with ATT and he pays $90 per month.

The dumb phones that some of the guys have mentioned seem to be a smarter way to go.

I recently visited my daughter in Germany. She has two smart phones, a blackberry from her company and an I-Phone for personal use. She travels in her job so it's kind of necessary for her. But I went along on a trip with her to a town in northern Germany and was amazed at how well her hands free phone worked in her car (the blackberry synced with the radio) and how safe it was. I had to have that too so I changed out the radio in my car and now have a very good hands free phone feature. It evens displays my contact list. (use of hand held cell phones is not allowed when driving in Germany)
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-14-2010 at 6:35 AM. Reason: add'l info
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    . . and for a manual it only had pictures... apparently it was supposed to be "easy" but if you had more than a brain stem, then it was probably a little too "easy". I apparently hadn't "brushed up" on my modern heiroglyphs. Talk about cheap... only using pictures so you don't have to translate anything into more than one language.
    I got a new company phone back in May and like Joe, it's one of those drop it and it keeps on ticking phones. I finally have text capability, which just annoys me. It's one more way that people can irritate me! (yes, I would prefer to be a hermit)

Rick, I thought I was the only one that really dislikes the photo instruction method. Jeepers, if I need to insert tab A into slot B just ell me.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Pre Paid ain't bad and doesn't have to use cheesy phones

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harry View Post
    I have about 9 months to figure out what I want to do. Pre-paid is sounding good, but my wife doesnt like "cheesy" phones. Maybe she should get her own plan hehe.
    I'm using a pre paid plan from airvoice. The service offers either GSM (AT&T & T-mobile phones) or CDMA. I don't know who their CDMA carrier is but they use AT&T's GO phone network for GSM. I bought an unlocked GSM phone off Ebay and bought an AT&T SIM for a couple bucks. Go to someplace that offers Western Union prepaid services. (My Supermarket and chain drug store both offer it, as does KMart.) Give customer service cash, they give you a sheet of paper with 16 numbers on it. Call AirVoice, give them the SIM number, maybe wait a little while. Insert the SIM card, turn the phone on and follow the directions. When you run low on minutes, go to the Western Union place and repeat the process, or buy minutes from Airvoice.

It works well, coverage is the same as AT&T's GO phone coverage. I don't know about their CDMA phones. I don't use a cell phone for social networking much so I probably use 100 minutes/month. $50 buys 550 minutes and they don't expire for 6 months. I was paying around $55/month for regular cell service and cell numbers are portable. If I lived on my phone or needed data, prepaid wouldn't be a good option.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-14-2010 at 9:21 AM.

Being away from home in the car most hours of most days, I use the internet on my phone often. Most of my works comes through email or text messages, so with out a smart phone I would be basically unemployed. I use a blackberry. I have recently toyed with the idea of an android phone. But after using them I cant stand them. The blackberry is so much easier to use, and much more customizable (if that is a word). The nice thing about the blackberry is if you want to just use it as a phone you can very easily, but it can do much more. I use mine as my laptop when on the road, my mp3 player, a phone, and often a camera. I haven't used an I phone much but if they are anything like the android I wont touch one for a while. The touch screen is nice for internet browsing since the large screen size. But other than that I think the touch screen is a hinderance.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    i just replaced an iphone 3g with a motorola krzr (same phone i had before the iphone).

made a profit on it too. sold the iphone for 140 bucks, bought the krzr with no contract brand new for 80 bucks.

and i guarantee you the woman who bought the iphone from me charged it twice before i charged the motorola once.

i get people who ride the subway for an hour to get to work every day wanting a computer-capable phone. that makes sense. but for me that fad is over with. if i plan on traveling far enough away from home that i need to get online to look for something, i'll bring my laptop anyways, so why do i need that on a phone?

My thinking, exactly. This stupid Droid won't even get thru 24 hours without being charged. What good is a "mobile" phone if it constantly has to be plugged in? Not to mention all the stupid "features" that execute on their own every time I tough the damn thing.