Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is Mike Wenzloff ?

Where is Mike Wenzloff ?

I ordered 2 saws approximately 2 years ago from him and also sent him 3 saw blades to sharpen. I paid for the 2 new saws and some other parts and now I can't reach him and he is not responding to my emails.

Anyone know what happened ?

Carlos

Me Too

Same for me. Three saws on order in early May so just coming up on 90 days. His blog on his website said they moved and he told me in an e-mail they had a machine go down. That was after they were one man short. So I am waiting and choosing to trust the type of people you usually find in this hobby. Hope all is well out there. I haven't checked his web site recently. Having just lost my job I can't really look elsewhere for tools. Would be good to hear if anyone has any updates. I'll try to send him an e-mail as well.

Rick

Blog Entries
    I ordered 4 kits from him in April and received them in early may. I want to say that the whole thing took maybe 3 weeks.

I have not heard anything about his buisness sense, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

I assume you have been in contact with him in the 2 year period you have been waiting for your saws?
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I ordered a pair of custom back saws from Mike in 2007 and it was two years almost to the day when they arrived. Actually, I ordered one saw and changed direction a couple times, with helpful and informed guidance from Mr. W., which I'm glad I had time to do in retrospect. The saws look and work beautiful(ly) in every way. I guess you could find a better pair of joinery saws somewhere - but I honestly don't see how. I knew about Mike's back-order list and there were a few times when I didn't hear anything for *a while* but since I don't make my living sawing and I was confident in the eventual outcome I didn't mind waiting.

You might try calling if email doesn't work - with his backlog, I imagine it's pretty easy for the inbox to stack up. I think their blog mentions changing shops and online servers recently, which could account for the delay. My impression is that Mike is a gentleman and a craftsman who will stand by his work in every way, and go out of his way to make sure you're happy.

Not affiliated in any way, just an extremely satisfied customer.

I also got two kits recently. No wood, just the back and the blades.

Took about 7 or 8 weeks or something.

I would imagine the kits are a lot easier to kick out, thus the speed in getting them.

Finished saws might be fighting against their capacity to keep up stock in retailers that carry their saws, too.

Might be like any small business that develops a really good product and gets overwhelmed with orders for the product, and short on people to manufacture said product.

Just be happy and grateful that Mike and Co. still stress QUALITY over quantity. GREED is a plague at times and can make a good product go bad because of short cuts to speed things up.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Cabrera View Post
    I ordered 2 saws approximately 2 years ago from him and also sent him 3 saw blades to sharpen. I paid for the 2 new saws and some other parts and now I can't reach him and he is not responding to my emails.

Anyone know what happened ?

Carlos

Am I reading this right that you PAID for the saws 2 years ago and you've not heard anything? Seems strange to me that you would let it go this long without picking up a phone. Also strange that Mike W. has not sent some sort of message as well. If I ran a business that way, I would have expected to be out of business long before the 2 years was up.

Hi Carlos

I have known Mike well for several years and can state quite categorically that he is one of the most reliable, honest and approachable people around. He elected to suspend making custom saws a few years ago as he knew his resources were limited, instead focussing on production saws. The waiting list for custom saws was not ignored, however, and Mike has provided updates on his progress. No one on that list has, in my understanding, paid for a saw in advance. If you have done so, there there must have been a serious misunderstanding, or loss of records (possibly the latter). I would contact Mike and sort this out with him. Knowing Mike he would sort it out immediately.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Carlos

I have known Mike well for several years and can state quite categorically that he is one of the most reliable, honest and approachable people around. He elected to suspend making custom saws a few years ago as he knew his resources were limited, instead focussing on production saws. The waiting list for custom saws was not ignored, however, and Mike has provided updates on his progress. No one on that list has, in my understanding, paid for a saw in advance. If you have done so, there there must have been a serious misunderstanding, or loss of records (possibly the latter). I would contact Mike and sort this out with him. Knowing Mike he would sort it out immediately.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Read the original post.

He has attempted to contact Mike and has not had a reply. Hence, the post here.

"now I can't reach him and he is not responding to my emails."
    Last edited by Sandy Stanford; 08-16-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Did you try reaching Mike by telephone? Have patience, Mike will get back to you. Don't forget his geographic location when you try to reach him, however, you may find it best to reach him very early in the morning (his time). Did Mike confirm receipt of your order? If you didn't prepay for the saws, you may have placed your order at the time when he quit taking custom orders.

I have three saws I had Mike build and I've been pleased with each. They're worth the wait. You can also find Mike's saws available for immediate purchase at Lee Vally and The Best Things.

T.

I just sent Mike an e-mail the other day as a follow up to my prepaid order and a heads up about this thread. My order is for three saw kits with handles included. I have tried to call but just get the answering machine. With the work for Lee Vallley and the Best Things (?) I imagine he is pretty busy. I'll be sure to post something here if I get a reply.

His blog does have posting as of a few days ago.

Rick

Hi Carlos

I have PMed you with Mike's email address, just in case you have been using a different one.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That is correct It has been almost 2 years and yes he acknowledged payment for the 2 new saws and I sent him 3 saw blades to sharpen. Below is the last thing I heard from him on 8/18/2009. I have always used this email address and he is not responding.

mwenz@wenzloffandsons.com

By the way I knew I had to be patient and that the saws would take long but this is just wrong.

Hi Carlos,

I have begun the last two batches. The last batch are those saws that deviated from the specs in some way (left handed, different woods, etc).
    Yours are in the last batch. We've got all yours in-process.

Thank you for your patience.

Take care, Mike
    Last edited by Carlos Cabrera; 08-16-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Cabrera View Post
    That is correct It has been almost 2 years and yes he acknowledged payment for the 2 new saws and I sent him 3 saw blades to sharpen. Below is the last thing I heard from him on 8/18/2009. I have always used this email address and he is not responding.

mwenz@wenzloffandsons.com

By the way I knew I had to be patient and that the saws would take long but this is just wrong.

Hi Carlos,

I have begun the last two batches. The last batch are those saws that deviated from the specs in some way (left handed, different woods, etc).
    Yours are in the last batch. We've got all yours in-process.

Thank you for your patience.

Take care, Mike
    I'm glad he thanked you for your patience because you've exhibited plenty of it.

Just got an e-mail from Mike. He says he was not able to spend much time in the shop after his move and is now playing extreme catch up.

Carlos he mentioned that he is having problems PM'ing you through SMC. If you send him an e-mail he may be able to respond directly more easily.

I'll let you know when I get my saws.

Rick