Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Sharpening Jig

Mine came in the mail last Friday. The website said it was $89.00 but my credit card got billed $105. It was shipped from WVA to NC - shipping was really $16.00?

Haven't had a chance to grind with it yet - still setting it up on a plywood base, etc. But I can confirm alot of what has already been said.
    I followed the instructions and installed the top plate 3/8" over the midpoint of my 8" grinder. On my Woodcraft gringer, this took a padding board about 7/8" thick placed underneath the jig. Now I'm wondering if it really needs to be 5/8" over the midpoint.

Also, on the sliding arm for the finger grind tool, it kinda makes sense that the arm locks down and you slide ball/socket piece along the arm. But my issue is that the nuts that hold the lock down piece underneath the base are just loose so you have to get a wrench under there everything to tighten it (versus having the nuts welded to the base or the base just threaded. That part is going to be a real pain.

Also, you do have to remove the top plate everytime to use the finger grind jig. Not sure how much of a pain that will be - it does come off fairly easy though. I'll post more once I have a chance to grind some on it.
    Last edited by Dave Schell; 03-02-2009 at 10:12 AM.

OK - I got to play with this a bit more tonight and I really want to send it back. It just does not have the same feel as the wolverine. As the reviews stated before, you can not lock down the top plate tight enough using the small wingnuts to really get it to hold on the set angle. The slightest pressure on it and it moves. That's unacceptable. Additionally, I could not lock down the finger jig arm tight enough to not get it to feel really solid. Again, that is scary to me. Hope Teknatool has a generous return policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Schell View Post
    The slightest pressure on it and it moves. That's unacceptable. Additionally, I could not lock down the finger jig arm tight enough to not get it to feel really solid.
    Wow. That would be bad. I was set to order one as I think it will help some of what I am doing when I sharpen. But I have no need to get a piece of junk.

Any idea why it is shifting and slipping like that? Is it the paint on the thing or is it something else that you have noticed? I wonder if the careful application of a washer or two could solve some of the problems.

I have it when things don't live up to expectations...

Joshua

question?

How did you get in touch with these people?
    vbradley25@comcast.net

thanks,
    brad