Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sq drive screws - ???

Screw-Products Torx

The more I use these the more I love em:

www.screw-products.com

We have all had phillips screws strip out and the most common cause of this is the driver climbing up out of the slots. If the driver is made of harder metal than the screw, which is most often the case, the screw is almost instantaneously ruined. Yet a driver with a good sharp bit (and a clutch if using a power driver) and careful pressure on the screw will eliminate most of this problem.

I have had more square drive screws rounded out that I care to recall. Perhaps it's because of shoddy manufacture in either the screw (most likely) or the bits. This became so much of a problem, especially with heavy duty applications (framing), that I gave up on them.

Now, for those heavy-duty applications, I use torx (star) drive. I have NEVER had one fail at the bit-screw head interface. I have had some screw heads snap off, however. The bits are straight sided (not tapered) so they do not climb out. There is 50% more surface area for the bit to grab (6 edges vs 4). The only problem I have with torx is that not enough screw sizes/types are made using this configuration.

ETA. While I was writing the above, Jack posted. It would appear there is an increasingly larger variety of torx screws available. Thanks for the link, Jack.
    Last edited by Thom Porterfield; 08-18-2010 at 5:48 PM. Reason: slow typing

3. Quote Originally Posted by Thom Porterfield View Post
    We have all had phillips screws strip out and the most common cause of this is the driver climbing up out of the slots. If the driver is made of harder metal than the screw, which is most often the case, the screw is almost instantaneously ruined. Yet a driver with a good sharp bit (and a clutch if using a power driver) and careful pressure on the screw will eliminate most of this problem.

I have had more square drive screws rounded out that I care to recall. Perhaps it's because of shoddy manufacture in either the screw (most likely) or the bits. This became so much of a problem, especially with heavy duty applications (framing), that I gave up on them.

Now, for those heavy-duty applications, I use torx (star) drive. I have NEVER had one fail at the bit-screw head interface. I have had some screw heads snap off, however. The bits are straight sided (not tapered) so they do not climb out. There is 50% more surface area for the bit to grab (6 edges vs 4). The only problem I have with torx is that not enough screw sizes/types are made using this configuration.

ETA. While I was writing the above, Jack posted. It would appear there is an increasingly larger variety of torx screws available. Thanks for the link, Jack.
    I have had as much problems with the torx as the phillips. The problem is the wall thickness between the "fins" on a torx. They are too thin and easy to deform and strip out. Square drive doesnt have this issue. Once the driver bit is seated in the screw correctly, it has been my experience that you will snap the head off before you strip it out

Well, with any screw system, it is important to have the bit properly seated in the slot(s) of the screw. I don't know what torx screws you use that strip out. The variety I get from my local lumber yard are quite strong. I use sizes from 1-1/2" to 3-1/2". I drive them with a battery-powered impact driver (the black and white L-ion Makita) and even while taking out the warp in a kiln-dried 2x6, I have, as I said, NEVER experienced any sort of failure at the bit-screw interface--i.e. no strip out whatsoever. Granted, I haven't used a non-clutched driver with them. Why would I? The impact driver is loud but it nudges the screw home without complaint. I am convinced that a standard flat head screw with torx is stronger than the screw shaft. The reason? I've had torx screws snap, but never strip out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lame View Post
    Another novice question.

McFeeleys makes a big deal out of their "wonderful" square drive screws. Are they a substantial improvement over phillips? Are screws from McFeeleys better than HD or Lowes?

Dave
    Oh Yeah - Definitely

I just tried them for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I plan on buying many more and never looking back!

Been using McFeeley's for over 15 years. Don't buy anything else.

Very happy with all the squaredrives I've bought from McFeelys.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I've been using the SPAX fasteners. McFeelys carries them as does HD. They are grade 5 steel and I have yet to twist one off. I use their 4" lags to mount my shop cabinets and the 1 1/4" multi-material ones for screwing to MDF and plywood.

Depending on which you get they can have either Robinson/Phillips combo heads or Torx.

'nuther difference

I used to have problems with phillips screws camming out when driving with a drill driver. I have yet to have one phillips cam out when driven with an impact driver.

I've been happy with Highpoint screws from WoodCraft. Not as large a selection as McFeeley's in finishes and sizes, but considerably less expensive, too.

Another +1 for McFeeley's. I would recommend getting a sample pack of their basic unplated square drives to have around the house. I've bought similar square drive screws from Lowes, and the heads kept shearing off when using an impact driver. I haven't had any problems with McFeeley's screws.

I recently switched over to only using SPAX screws and the Bosch Combo bit driver (Phillips plus Robertson). I used McFeely's for the purchase. The shipping was only $1 (current promotion) for UPS Ground.

The SPAX screws are very good quality and the Combo Bit gives me great grip. I have had problems in the past with square drive screws rounding out and we all know the issues with Phillips heads. This newer bit gives me the best results.

-Mike

Blog Entries
    MdFeely's is currently running a 25/25/25 promotion where you get 25 types of screws (25 each) for $25. I believe you also get a few driver bits with that as well. If you haven't tried square drive screws it's a good way to try out a bunch of different sizes and head types cheaply.

Be aware that there are 3 common square drive sizes (#1,2, & 3). Make sure you're using the right size bit (most WWing screws use #2).

I cry when I don't have the square drive screw I need for a job and then have to revert back to Phillips.

Square drive is the only way to go IMHO, once you try it you'll never go back.