Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats on your walls?

I got some 7/16 OSB at Lowes for around $5 a sheet, but that was almost two years ago. Don't know if they still carry it or how much it is, at the time it was right around the same price as a 4x8 sheet of 1/5" drywall.

Painted it all with Kilz, amazing how much brighter the shop looks with pure white walls.

I used hardboard for all of my walls. Primed with Gripper and finish coat of Valspar porch paint.

White paint over kilz primer. OSB sucks it up good, 2 coats of each sprayed on finally covered it.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Blog Entries
    my father built the shop onto the back of our garage back in 1989 and its all sheetrock
    but i plan on taking down the tools and a cabinet off the south wall where my bench
    runs the length and im putting up 3 sheets of plywood from bench to ceiling and will
    leave it natural. natural is the way it should be in a wood shop i feel and i will keep
    the sheet rock on the ceiling and east/west walls i think and the north wall is the
    back of the garage so thats lap siding and it all will get a fresh coat of white.

Osb

Basement shop; full OSB, ditto on painting and wish for ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Part drywall, mostly OSB. Primed with a high quality primer and painted semi-gloss white (brutal, typing paper white). If I did it again I would go gloss over the semi. The increase in light distribution is substantial. I wish I had a ceiling to paint too.
    Mike

OSB on the bottom 4' and peg board on the upper 4'. Need to paint everything just to brighten things up. Now that I'm retired and have "all kinds of time to do stuff" yeah......right.

+1 for OSB
    +1 for semigloss white paint over a primer.
    If two coats covers it you're lucky.

OSB painted white and a few meal signs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I have existing painted sheet rock on part of the shop. I built a divider in our 3 car garage to make my one stall shop. I made this wall using 2x4 studs and SCREWED cheap white coated masonite to it after insulating it. Elect is in conduit outside the wall. The slick surface of this masonite product works well to just blow clean. The studs are easy to locate because of the visible screw heads holding the paneling to the studs. All this, including the studs, are screwed together so it is all
    de-mountable. I have found that "nothing in life is permanent."
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I also have OSB painted white. David

OSB can off-gas for a long time, even after it's painted. Other than that, it works good, and is cheap.

We have a local mill nearby to me that makes rough-sawn ship-lap pine boards in many different sizes. The grade is #4, so you have to do a lot of picking, but overall it's a great look, very durable, and practical. I used an exterior latex stain on it. I even built cabinets with it, and all the trim in the shop is the same material.

Cost is about .80bf so it's not as inexpensive as osb or drywall.

Greg

Inside Walls & Ceiling of Shop

Interesting reading as I have just finished the rough in wiring for my 24 x 30 shop - I hope I have anyway - plan to call the inspector out Monday.

So the next step is insulation and then interior walls and ceiling for the shop along with the office upstairs - 11 x 30.

I may be crazy - at least some people think so - I bought a bunch of lumber including 49 sheets of 1/2" birch plywood at a auction last year in North Carolina. I paid more than sheetrock or OSB - but not much - I plan to use the Birch Plywood for my walls - and probably ceiling as well. I plan to finish it with clear floor finish.

I have thought about using OSB and saving the plywood for cabinets, etc. But then how long would it take to use 49 sheets for anything else. It is a good grade of plywood - good both sides.

Will post pictures as I get it up.

1/2" sheetrock, taped, mudded, sanded, painted. Attached garage workshop, so I wouldn't do it any other way. Too many risks of fire with something like plywood or OSB...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I also used with sheet rock taped and mudded. I'm going to apply to coats of primer and call it good. I have no windows in the shop the brightness of the sheet rock with will placed lighting should give me the best light covering.

OSB I hear has a tendency to wanna flake off if the wrong type paint was applied.. Last thing I wanted was glue and repainting falling chips.

I used Kilz and Ace paint about 10 years ago and haven't had any problems.