Thread: Which planer????

Which planer????

I am working on making a decision on a new planner.I'm looking at a Ridgid 13" and a Dewalt 12 1/2". Both costs about 400 bucks. Both has 3 blades(reversable).Ridgid turns at 10,000 rpm and the DeWalt turns at 20,000rpm.Ridgid comes with a lifetime warranty and the DeWalt comes with a 1yr. limited warranty.What would be a good choice between these 2 and other opinions if any?
    Donny

I have the Ridgid and like it a lot. Plane walnut, birdseye maple, hard maple, mahogany, whatever else I can shove through there... Leaves a nice almost finished surface. Does get a little snipe if you aren't careful. The dial-a-cut feature is pretty cool. I don't really make deep cuts with it so I've never bogged it down or anything.

The LSA is a plus over the DW's 1 yr. I'd also look into a deal on a refurbed DW735 that offers the chip ejector, the Makita 2012, and the Delta 22-580.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    I have the Ridgid and like it a lot. Plane walnut, birdseye maple, hard maple, mahogany, whatever else I can shove through there... Leaves a nice almost finished surface. Does get a little snipe if you aren't careful. The dial-a-cut feature is pretty cool. I don't really make deep cuts with it so I've never bogged it down or anything.
    +1,
    Snipe can be eliminated with a little experimentation adjusting the tables, the dial-a-cut works great, and, the dust collection is fantastic. Especially if using the 4" connection. It's just so-so with the 2 1/2" adapter but that should be expected with the reduced air flow.
    I wouldn't trade my Ridgid for any other on the market right now.
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

Blog Entries
    Donny,

Sorry to read about the fire in your shop (Saw your thread in the turners forum). Glad no one was hurt and hope the damage to the building isnt too bad.

Just my$.02 but I think if I were in your place I would go on an intensive CL hunt (statewide and maybe nearby states) looking for someone selling his entire shop. I like high quality, low miles, used tools. Lot of bang for the buck money wise.

PHM

Ditto for Clist. Join OWWM.org if you haven't already and watch the classifieds. A Parks, Belsaw, Powermatic or old Delta could be had for around the same price and are a much better planer.

Went through the same debate last fall, ended up with the Ridgid. Very impressed with the quality of cut, minimal snipe until the blades started dulling -- boards started sticking a bit then. New blades fixed the issue.

I got >200 bf red oak planed, along with 40 bf of pine out of the first side of my blades. I think the blades got really dirty from the pine, and I will try cleaning them before chucking em. Blades were very easy to swap, despite 21 bolts holding them on. One was stuck, which caused the demise of the supplied allen wrench.

Overall, it is a 9/10 IMO. Only strike is the noise, but that is a function of the style of planer, not just the Ridgid.

Good Luck

I agree with Don and Paul, I was starting to look at these "lunchbox" planers, reading the reviews and then I got a good deal on a used Belsaw. Around the same price but build like a tank. Cast iron bed, and a 5hp motor . Just be patient. Of course I had to buy a set of casters for $50.

I love my Delta 2 speed. Knock wood, I've not had any problems with it. When I take the time to level the tables (5 minutes tops and I'm slow) it rarely has snipe. The finishing speed all but eliminates sanding.

I have an earlier Ridgid version. It works well.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Personally I would watch your local craigslist. I picked up a 20" Jet for $600. I have seen similar deals posted here......

Not recommending one or the other since I have tried only the Rigid... I wanted to share my experience...
    It has been great. Very easy to setup. Great DC. Never experienced any snipe with zero adjustments. I have been working on my Roubo workbench and just got done with the top and legs. Put this unit through quite a workout with all the douglas fir... No issues.
    Very happy with this machine.