Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pre-gloat.......................jointer...... IT's OFFICIAL NOW

Blog Entries
    Better pick up a small tarp while you're out there, then...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Congrats on the purchase, Ken. The driver rolled my G690 up a steep driveway into my garage a couple of weeks ago. I, too, was afraid I would get a grouch who would drop it on the street and wave good-bye. That was not the case so perhaps the driver was lowering your expectation and will do the right thing. My driver was very appreciative of the $20 I slipped him as he was leaving - worth a try!

Gene,

Every driver that has helped me put them in the shop got an extra $20. The last guy argued with me for 10 minutes about it. I finally folded it up and put it in his pocket and told him he shouldn't argue with someone old enough to be his father.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My driver is good, too. He takes the money, but he doesn't wait for pay to bring it in the shop. he looks at the order, he sees that my shop is downhill (not far, but downhill) from the back of the truck and walks it down and I give him $20, same as you.

I'm lucky. A lot of the things I've gotten don't offer liftgate, and I've told him that I would've paid for liftgate were it an option. I do pay for it when it is.

He's cool by me, and the fact that he uses the liftgate and rolls it down into my shop means he's on to his next delivery a lot faster than he would be if we were pushing it off the truck and onto a tall cart I have, only to then move it off the cart so the next box can be put on the same cart.

ummm Ken, As per the standards set forth in this Forum. No pics it didn't happen. However since we are mere minutes away from delivery and I am sure you will drop everything just to post those pics (can you hear the sarcasm in there?) I will congratulate you on your purchase. Not to mention this is a pre-gloat...

I am also looking to get a jointer soon. Just need to finish a few details up in the garage to make the room. Then I too can have another tool that is beyond my capability.

I am definitely looking forward to your review once you get things set up.

congrats on the new jointer Ken, hope you enjoy it
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

David,

You are going to find this hard to believe but since you visited my shop I thought I'd tell you.

As of 5 minutes ago, there are no more saw horses with plywood set on them in my shop.

I finally got enough cabinets built to everything away but wood.

Once I get this jointer cleaned up and set up, I have a cherry pedestal table that needs a finish put on it. Then a wood rack will be built.

Then I can have an somewhat organized shop.
    Ken

I'm jealous. I just took delivery of a very similar Grizzly jointer, but couldn't (or simply didn't) justify the spiral cutterhead. Really wish I would've now. Ughh..... But congrats!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Gene,

Every driver that has helped me put them in the shop got an extra $20. The last guy argued with me for 10 minutes about it. I finally folded it up and put it in his pocket and told him he shouldn't argue with someone old enough to be his father.
    Ken,

looking forward to some pictures and your review of the new machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Gene,

BTDT You know they appreciate it. One driver said he keeps his tip $ and spends them at Woodcraft and Lee Valley--I told him he was a pretty smart guy.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

It's in the shop.

My dear friend and neighbor saw the tractor/trailer pull up and he met him with his leather gloves on.

With this mornings rain and the height and length of his trailer, we'd never got the truck to my shop and the ground was too wet and soft to allow his pallet jack to make it to the shop. The driver helped us put it on the carport out of the weather and flat out refused a tip. He finally said, he take a hand shake as a tip. I thanked him.

My neighbor and I loaded the stand into the back of his pickup and got it to the shop. Then using come-along and a fence stretcher, we loaded the aircraft carrier beds and head crate into his pickup and got it into the shop.

It will be a few days before I get it put together. I have to help my oldest son paint his house first.

I will open the boxes later this evening to look for damage but won't be assemblying anything for a few days.
    Ken

Ken,
    I'm sure you know this but three pieces of pipe spaced under the crate will roll like it is on wheels. When the back one falls out, move it to the front. Good luck with the new tool. Quality wood working begins with flat stock.
    butch

congrats ken!

I know you will have fun using it.

joe

btw: I like how it looks in your shop.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Congratulations, Ken!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well,

I finally got it assembled, dialed in and tested.

The beds and fence on this G0490X were less than 0.003" of being completely flat with no twisting. I am pleased.

I got two neighbors who helped me get it from my carport to the shop. I uncrated and assembled it by myself. After buying two 4' lifting straps and renting an engine hoist, it wasn't difficult at all to assemble it by myself.

Since I can't work currently, I took my time checking it out and performing the mechanical alignments.

There are some minor things with the fit and finish that I would have preferred to be better BUT....at 1/9th the cost of a Northfield, 1/2 the cost of a PM and $1,000 less than an equivalent Laguna, I am more than pleased.

The good news is that I tested it on a 30" piece of 5"x 5" cherry and it works wonderfully with no snipe.

So here's the required proof:

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg
    Ken