Thread: Drilling Pen Blanks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DP with small vise.

I never would have thought that there would be such a division of opinions. Having drilled blanks both ways, I personally think that the lathe and a jacob's chuck is much easier and more accurate.

lathe, almost exclusively. I have started rounding my blanks now and drilling using a collet chuck.

I have to wonder or ask "how is drilling on a lathe" more accurate than a drill press? Do you mean a good drill press with a good self centering clamp or do you mean a small drill press that doesnt have the right setup or the right clamp? I have a very large drill press and I have done both drilling with the lathe and drill press and I find both to be the same as far as getting the hole in the center but I find the lathe more cumbersome to manuever than the drill press.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant