Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good deal on a drill press?

Is this a good deal on a drill press?

I don't really need a drill press but this looks like a good machine to me for the price. What do you guys think?
    http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/tls/1948854154.html
    Last edited by keith micinski; 09-13-2010 at 7:28 PM.

I'm sure the Delta of that era is probably far superior to anything in the 10" size you could buy new for somewhat comparable prices.

I always hate it when someone asks about a tool and the replies always say "save you money and buy bigger". Sometimes space and cash flow dictate we do what we can, believe me when I say I can sympathize with both (money and space that is)
    That said, I run in to more situations where my 10" bench top press is simply too small for the job. The biggest issue is the amount of space between the chuck and work surface, and plunge depth.

So - I'll just say it. If at all possible... if space permits and your current need can be put off until the cash flow is addressed (if an issue), go with a floor unit.
    fledgling weekend warrior

Thats kind of what I was thinking except I have made it 15 years without having a drill press and I know if I get a floor size unit it will just sit there taking up space.

I think we are all different, but I have passed up on a number of these precisely because a floor stander takes up less space in my shop - the way I work, it does. It looks too cool though.

Thats a very nice little press, and if the PO did it right, you are getting his labor for probably about 5 bucks an hour. Go for it.

IF it is big enough for you then it is a good deal and very cool to boot.

I was wondering if I was the only one that thought it looked cool? It seems silly to buy a tool because it is old and looks cool but I frequently find myself doing that. I offered him a 100. I figure if I can get it for that surely I can make it worth owning.

I bought a floor model in Otsego for $150, all rusted up. And that was a 2 1/2 hour drive, one way for me.
    All you need is a longer column and the bigger base to make a floor model out of it. They are available.
    I've seen them on owwm BOYD recently.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 09-13-2010 at 9:09 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I actually have a spot on a homemade stand I built for some other stuff that I think would be a perfect height for it.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I was wondering if I was the only one that thought it looked cool? It seems silly to buy a tool because it is old and looks cool but I frequently find myself doing that. I offered him a 100. I figure if I can get it for that surely I can make it worth owning.
    How about looks cool and is *new* for a reason. I have about 4k in Festool that fits that description! (I kid Festool, I do like the stuff). For $100, that would be a very nice DP. I bet it is solid as a rock.

Lets hope he responds. I get a lot of People on craigslist that don't like to reply once they place an add for some reason.

I have made it 15 years without having a drill press and I know if I get a floor size unit it will just sit there taking up space.
    A drill press is a lot like a pneumatic nailer in this respect.
    Once you get one & use it, you wonder how you got along for so many years without it.

I have a benchtop & am always keeping an eye out for a floor model when the right one at the right price comes around.

Here's hoping the seller responds & takes your offer.

Then you can post both a gloat and ask about making a table for your "new" /old (& really cool looking) drill press!

Is this a good deal?

I think its a good deal. Old Deltas, Rockwells, and other presses of a similar nature are well worth the money. The exception is the press that has sat in the weather for many years.

Jim R.

14. Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Thats kind of what I was thinking except I have made it 15 years without having a drill press and I know if I get a floor size unit it will just sit there taking up space.
    If you get a benchtop one, it still takes up space on a bench, or you have to lug it off a shelf..

I have my floor drill press on a mobile base for those rare occasions I have to use it.

I guess it depends on the type of work you do on whether you need one or not.. I like using Euro hinges. I also like to be able to drill a row of holes the same distance from the edge of something. In general, if I can get a piece on the drill press, I will use it, as it is far easier and more accurate than doing it by hand.

Looks like a great deal to me.

If you want to learn more about that era - owwm-dot-com to search for photos and info.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.