Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding a good used car; Part two

Finding a good used car; Part two

Last February I was ranting about trying to buy a car (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=bonneville). I finally "settled" on a 98 Bonneville because I was so frustrated with trying to find a decent car. I have been aggravated with myself ever since I bought that car. I just didn't like it. In my last search I was trying to find a car that was newer than the one I had at the present time. The Bonneville has all kinds of gizmos and gadgets on it (translate that as lots of unnecessary stuff that is expensive to fix when it breaks because I can't work on it) that everyone thinks they have to have these days.

I finally decided to start looking for a "real" car. I spent a few hours on Searchtempest looking at cars made in the 80's. I found an 88 Chevy Caprice in KY. 130,000 miles (55,000 less than the Bonneville), kept in a garage its entire life, all service records starting with the first oil change at 3,000 miles. It has a 305 smallblock with a carburetor. The transmission is behind the engine where it belongs, not wrapped around it with everything crossways under the hood. If something breaks, I can fix it.
    That is my kind of car.

I don't have any pics yet , but there are some in the ad here - http://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/1932991016.html

Anyone want to buy a 98 Bonneville?

Very nice, sure doesn't look 22 years old. That 305 was a great little V8, does it have a TH350 trans? I had the one on my '72 El Camino (sold it in 2007) rebuilt, cost just $1,200 compared top $3,000 for the modern Electronic versions.

Did you know they were talking about bringing back a rear-drive Caprice as a police vehicle in 2011?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I'm a bit surprised GM would bring back the Caprice as a Police vehicle. Many depts are already using other GM vehicles as police vehicles to save on costs versus the Ford Crown Vic.

Ford is dropping the Crown Vic, but they are coming out with a new vehicle customized for police use based on the Taurus I believe.

I just read about that yesterday, they aren't really bringing it back. they are just talking about importing the caprice from Australia where it's been in production since for ever just for use as police cars. Apparently Australia still builds the el-Camino or at least something similar.

Back on Topic - David, that car looks sweet.

A 22 year old car in NY would be nothing but a rust spot on the side of the road...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Olson View Post
    I just read about that yesterday, they aren't really bringing it back. they are just talking about importing the caprice from Australia where it's been in production since for ever just for use as police cars. Apparently Australia still builds the el-Camino or at least something similar.
    Holden makes all manner of interesting stuff.

They also love "trucklets" as they call El Caminoesque cars. This is one that was rumoured to be built on the G8 chassis but then well Pontiac kinda died.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    If you want a large car that is very comfortable on the road check out a Toyota Avalon. It's made in KY, USA & has excellent long term maintenance reviews from the various car websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Very nice, sure doesn't look 22 years old. That 305 was a great little V8, does it have a TH350 trans? I had the one on my '72 El Camino (sold it in 2007) rebuilt, cost just $1,200 compared top $3,000 for the modern Electronic versions.

Did you know they were talking about bringing back a rear-drive Caprice as a police vehicle in 2011?
    I'm not sure what transmission it is yet, but I'm pretty sure it isn't a TH350. I think the 350 was only made as a 3 speed. This is a 4 speed.
    I had read somewhere about Caprice becoming a police car.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    If you want a large car that is very comfortable on the road check out a Toyota Avalon. It's made in KY, USA & has excellent long term maintenance reviews from the various car websites.
    I looked at the specs on the Avalon after reading your post. It's smaller than the Bonneville. That is one big reason I didn't like the Bonneville. There wasn't enough leg room for me.
    Last edited by David Freed; 09-13-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Probably a 200R4 trans then. Another good one as long as you are not racing it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

The Caprice is a great, heavy-duty car. For many years, they were being shipped to Saudi Arabia and surrounding countries by the hundreds. The Arabs loved the Caprice because it has powerful air conditioning and a rugged suspension that rides nice on rough roads.

While the 305 is great because it's a small block Chevy, it wasn't known for power. As I recall, the heads were small and camshaft is the proverbial broomstick. However, since it's a small block Chevy, the world abounds with parts. Bolt on a high flowing set of heads, stab in a new cam and you'll have yourself a sleeper, street machine.

Looks like a nice car Greg, dont see too many of that body style caprice on the road anymore...that car can either have a 200-r4 or a 700r4. The only thing I dont like about some of the last carbureted gm vehicles made is the feedback system on the carb. other than that pretty well made gm.

Ford Broncos/F-150s made until 1996 are so easy and simple to fix.

Blog Entries
    I looked at the specs on the Avalon after reading your post. It's smaller than the Bonneville. That is one big reason I didn't like the Bonneville. There wasn't enough leg room for me.
    What specs were you comparing - Wheel base? You should go sit in one. My grandmother has a mid 80's caprice and my neighbor's Avalon definitely has a more comfortable & larger drivers seating area. Of course, you can pick up a used caprice for less than a used Avalon. If you are in the Avalon price range you could also take a look at a used Cadillac from the time when they were using the Northstar engines...

I have no fond memories of carburetors.

Although I do remember being able to switch out a TH350 during my lunch break in HS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Godley View Post
    I have no fond memories of carburetors.

Although I do remember being able to switch out a TH350 during my lunch break in HS.
    Oh, I do. The smell of unburned gas, an occasional backfire. Rebuilding them, boiling out the body in my Mom's favorite pot on the kitchen stove.

Sammamish, WA