Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Neaderin' - need a good smith/toolmaker for pre-columbus tools

Early Neaderin' - need a good smith/toolmaker for pre-columbus tools

I have mission: Set up a kit with tools from this image:

http://www.easyart.com/canvas-prints...rk-302728.html

Using materials as close as possible to what the originals probably were. most of them are fairly easy; chisels from the 18th century can be re-hilted because they are essentially the same. The one that's throwing me is the socketed axe. I need a smith who can work in wrought iron and put in a high-carbon bit, and can make it look dead-on like the one in the image.

So, what I'm asking, is: does anyone know an appropriately-skilled tool-maker who may be willing to take on the job?

Maybe Harry Strasil here on the forum?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Johnson View Post
    I have mission: Set up a kit with tools from this image:

http://www.easyart.com/canvas-prints...rk-302728.html
    I can't help you on your quest, but I will say Thank You for giving me another historical image of tools.

I love the early stuff.

Socket axe? I don't think there's any such thing. What I see is possibly a "strapped" hatchet. I think it has an eye. Sometimes the straps were add-ons. I've seen several early axes recently and none had this feature. A simple colonial hatchet head should be close enough.

I've made/modified tools to look like these for Pennsbury Manor. Be prepared to be impressed. Some of these tools have designs in ways superior to modern tools!

adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cherubini View Post
    Socket axe? I don't think there's any such thing. What I see is possibly a "strapped" hatchet. I think it has an eye. Sometimes the straps were add-ons. I've seen several early axes recently and none had this feature. A simple colonial hatchet head should be close enough.
    Thanks for the terminology pointer, Adam, but I've seen the original painting and it clearly has a seam where the metal wraps around the shaft.

You see these axes with sockets fairly commonly in art before 1500. They didn't die out, though, and I have one from the 1800's, and have seen others from the 19th century labeled "French", but they are more timber-dressing sized than shop-sized.

The socket may be used because metal might have been of questionable strength. They are mostly in images of larger axes, dressing timbers, but there is also a smallish one here, that looks like it might be a small splitter: http://www.wga.hu/tours/flemish/flemalle/index.html (Note the spiiffy saw, which I also want made)

Yeah, it seems close to the ubiquitous hatchet in size, and if well made ought to be a sweet performer, which is why I'm looking for someone with the skill to make it well.

And then we'll talk about the saw..
    Last edited by Jeff Johnson; 09-21-2010 at 7:49 AM.

That type axe does exist. Wonder where Harry is?

You could order one from the Anderson Blacksmith Shop in Colonial Williamsburg. Ken Schwarz is the master. Call 1-757-229-1000 and ask for the Anderson Blacksmith's shop. It is possible they won't make it since it isn't 18th.C.,and the public sees what is being made. One of the guys might take it as a private commission.

Reproduction tools

Jeff Miller is a blacksmith, formerly of Sturbridge Village and Fort #4 and I have seen him make colonial period axes while working at a local fair. He has a lot of expertise in the colonial era but his skills would certainly carry over to earlier periods. The axes I saw him make were of true wrought iron with a carbon steel bit made entirely by hand as they would have been 200 years ago. He is a master and I'm sure he could make the items you want.

I'm also a blacksmith with 30 years experience but my work is more industrial.

Here's the info to contact Jeff:

Flintlock Forge
    18th & 19th Century Hand Forged Ironware Reproducing Historical Ironware for Individuals and Museums for over 30 years.
    Jeffery Miller, Blacksmith
    Flintlock Forge
    244 Orff's Corner Road
    Waldoboro, ME 04572
    207-832-5759
    (17th Century Ironware done on specal order)

Good luck,

Neal Wells

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    You could order one from the Anderson Blacksmith Shop in Colonial Williamsburg. Ken Schwarz is the master. Call 1-757-229-1000 and ask for the Anderson Blacksmith's shop. It is possible they won't make it since it isn't 18th.C.,and the public sees what is being made. One of the guys might take it as a private commission.
    Yeah, I've had that sort of issue with the Williamsburg shops before. Tried to get them to cooper an unusual cask about 20 years ago and couldn't get a response. Won't hurt to try again.

@ Chris - yeah, I thought of Gransfors Bruks, but the 4,000 miles betwixt here-n-there, plus language, international financial and shipping issues kinda make me leery. Yeah, I know, they aren't as big an issue as they used to be, because I've done a fair share of international commerce, but if it can be done by a talented person this side of the pond, I'd rather go that way.

@ Neal - Will give Jeff Miller a try - thanks for the contact.

And maybe Harry'll pop in and see what he has to say about the project.
    Last edited by Jeff Johnson; 09-21-2010 at 7:18 PM.

Here is a photo of an axe that looks similar to the one in the painting and dates from the mid/late 1500's:
    http://www.ambroseantiques.com/armour/bearded.htm

It can be yours for the low low price of $3775.
    http://www.ambroseantiques.com/armour.htm

The book Country Tools And How To Use Them has a line drawing illustration on page 23 of what the author calls a "folded socket" axe, where the metal only wraps perhaps halfway around the wood haft and is held on with rivets.

That is what is known as a Socket Axe, probably a Socket Paring Hatchet, look at page 63 of R.A. Salamans Dictionary of Woodworking Tools.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Thanks guys.

Harry,

So, I'm not mistaken in my interpretation of the axe I originally posted about? - it seems your paring axe is also beveled on just the one side, and is probably pretty much flat on the down face. I'm thinking this is for chopping/narrowing boards, rather than ripsawing them. I've seen peter Follansbee do this operation with a hatchet.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Covington View Post
    Here is a photo of an axe that looks similar to the one in the painting and dates from the mid/late 1500's:
    http://www.ambroseantiques.com/armour/bearded.htm

It can be yours for the low low price of $3775.
    http://www.ambroseantiques.com/armour.htm

The book Country Tools And How To Use Them has a line drawing illustration on page 23 of what the author calls a "folded socket" axe, where the metal only wraps perhaps halfway around the wood haft and is held on with rivets.
    Andre, You're looking at the wrong line: the turkish mail armor is $3,775. The axe is a mere $550. Not such a bad price...

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Johnson View Post
    Andre, You're looking at the wrong line: the turkish mail armor is $3,775. The axe is a mere $550. Not such a bad price...

Thanks for the link!
    Oops, I see now. Well in that case, I'll take a dozen. Do they come in blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Johnson View Post
    Thanks guys.

Harry,

So, I'm not mistaken in my interpretation of the axe I originally posted about? - it seems your paring axe is also beveled on just the one side, and is probably pretty much flat on the down face. .
    The drawing shows only one side. It's probably sharpened on both sides as the bench axe or hatchet is used mainly for quickly chopping away excess material prior to planing and/or using the axe to pare to the line. Underhill has done that in several of his shows.

Many years ago I saw a clip on the TV showing a Danish or Swedish log craftman with a helper put together a small building like a smoke house using only I think 3 axes, and each log was fit to the top of the one below for its entire length with a small recess that they filled full of tree moss. The logs were of rather large diameter a he even chopped a rebate in the outer edge of the door frame for a seal. You could have shaved with any of his axes, he used them for chopping, planing and chiseling.

I was fascinated by the video clip, it might have been one of Roy's programs, but I am not sure.

The axe below is a Bearded Coach makers axe, if the beard was longer and the axe was bigger it would be called a Goose Wing Axe. I made it for myself a long time ago. The eye is made by folding over, and the cutting edge is a piece of car leaf spring welded to the mild steel body, it is poll less so can't be used like a hammer.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand