Thread: I wanted a bench vise...

I wanted a bench vise...

So I made one. I couldn't afford spending a hundred or more on a quality bench vise and I couldn't break down and buy a small cheap one.

I had recently turned in the motor of my old 9" craftsman radial arm saw for the recall and now had the stand and other pieces laying around. I got to looking at the height adjusting knob and began to wonder . I had some 3/4" conduit laying around and some 8/4 oak and started to tinker. The results are in the pictures.

It definitely is not to the quality of a $150 vise, but it does what it is suppose to do, hold a board so I don't have to. It slides reasonably well and while it does have some flex, not as bad as I thought it might considering the guides are just conduit. I might replace the conduit with some black iron pipe or something a bit more rigid, maybe. It is 15" wide with a opening of 6 1/2". Since the pitch of the acme thread is not very steep, it does take a few cranks to open it all the way, if only I could design a quick release for it . All in all I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. It just so happens I have another RAS carcass and might build another one.

Total cost: $4.89 for a 15/16" spade bit since I didn't have one already. Actually I guess it cost me -$95.11 considering I got $100 from the recall
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look fine to me. Is this tail vise for a lefty?

I'm actually right handed, I may have placed it on the wrong side lol. Never had much experience with vises before

Looks good. If it works you've got a winner.

I have been wondering if I could do something similar with some very large all thread and couplers. I just bought some scaffolding leveling feet. If you can scrounge one. Not the smoothest acme threads but might work.

The main problem is that the holes for the steel bars will wear oval,and the vise will flex more as you use it. Use thicknessed blocks to match the thickness of your wood. Place on the opposite side of your vise to prevent it racking when clamping wood on just 1 side of the vise.

Thanks for the tip. I figured it would eventually wear out, but it will get me by for a while

Seems like I've seen oiled bronze sleeves someplace. You might be able line the holes with those to prevent the wear...

Mcmaster-Carr

Mcmaster-Carr they carry all types of bushings and anything else you can think of. They are on the web. Beware, they ship super fast, you be amazed how fast you'll get anything ordered.

I ordered some 3/8" stainless steel rod and nylon tube stock for a couple of adirondack gliders I built and it seemed like I got the product the next day...and at a very reasonable price too. I have thought about the bronze bushings and will go that route whenever I get around to replacing the conduit with something more substantial.