Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scored the Mother Load of Apple (and a proposition...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Ben, I really hope someone will take you up on your offer. Funny, you'd think you'd have 10 guys over this weekend...

All you really need is that one that has a heart of gold, though...
    I would have thought so too Mike, ohh well, I didn't expect giving away free wood would be so hard!

I do plan on attending some of the local wood turners association meetings, that would seem like the easy way to get going.

I got all of the logs Anchorseal'd and place under my deck last night, sitting on top of the rock I have underneath it. Should I cover the logs with a tarp now?

Like everyone said, the Anchorseal went a long way. I used maybe 1/3 of the gallon, gave both ends 2 very generous coats.

(And this was using my Sawzall to get stuff to size, I won't have a chainsaw till Monday!)

I have received another e-mail from the PO of the logs, requesting for me to make her some plates with the wood, cutting the log vertically into sections (sort of like how you would cut a roll of cookie dough). I did a little bit of research and hadn't seen anything like that, only people making plates/platters from horizontally cut boards. Seems that controlling the drying of the wood and avoiding splitting would be very hard.

Hopefully my back can rest up before Monday when I go to get the "big logs"...

Here are some more pictures of all of the accessories that came along with the lathe. (Ignore the spindles for the State Spindle Sander that I bought from him as well...)

And here is my favorite part, the minty WWII era paper S/N tag, it is a 1943 model.

Last edited by Ben Martin; 10-08-2010 at 7:20 AM.

Ben, I had a HUGE figured walnut log that I was offering up to anyone who wanted to come cut it up with me...for fun. I got one of those angels I was refering to. But only one...

As for your Lathe, I have a 1947 model. My plate doesn't say the year, but I called Delta and through the serial number they were able to figure it out. Kinda neat...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I'm kinda in the area... about 1 1/2 hours away. Unfortunately I'm swamped at the moment. Perhaps not the best tutor anyway as I'm still trying to figure all this out myself... I'm sure the club meetings will be a help, although I have yet to do that myself as well. Good luck!

cool, congratulations, its amazing what happens to woodturners, enjoy