Thread: Wanted a Flap Sander, Got A Flap Sander

Wanted a Flap Sander, Got A Flap Sander

I wanted a flap sander, really wanted a Sand-Rite flap sander, but gosh... $1k is out of my league. And Im not a professional shop, just a hobby, so I had to find another option. Well I scored what I consider the next best thing. A next to new Jet low rpm(1725) buffer and a Sand-Rite flap sanding head, all the Jet bushings and washers, a pneumatic drum, 2 sets of extra sanding flaps, a new set of extra flap brushes, extra drum sleeves, and an adjustable height stand for $340. Man, this thing is a monster. Pictures do it no justice. If youve never seen one of these Jet buffers in person, you would be shocked at the size and power. The Sand-Rite head is a marvel, holding lots more flap sandpaper inside. You simply loosen the large nut on the side and twist, out comes more sanding material, kinda like a weed wacker feeds out line.
    I hate sanding by hand. I know im going to love using the machine. GLOAT, GLOAT !!
    My favorite cologne is BLO

YOU SUCK!

And you are correct they are much larger than one would think when you see them in person.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I really hate to tell you this, but the Sand Rite head, or any flap head, is not designed to run at 1750. At that speed you are polishing. Sand Rite suggest 1100, but other industrial type heads say 700 is tops. I'm just now doing testing to see what the number is for my operation.

I'm not saying your set up will not work. I used too run my Sand Rite head at 1750. I now have it mounted on a variable speed set up and run it around 700. Actually, the polishing works well for some things, but I have found that a Mac Mop is better for polishing and it runs OK at 1750.

Perry

Perry, Sand-Rite shows 1200. Im not arguing with you. I tried it out on a few things I brought with me and was very impressed with the action and result of the sanding head before I bought it. It was loaded with 120 grit and I also was given 150 and 180 grit flaps for the sanding head, and this will allow me to experiment with the different grits to see what works best for me, and so Im not really too concerned about it turning a little over speed. I will look into the Mac Mop and see what I think. Im just excited to have my machine.
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 10-09-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Lance, congragulation on your good deal, didn't mean to dampen your excitement!

I do a lot of flap sanding and have tried a lot of trial and error stuff. I got a real education at IWF this year on flap sanding by the experts there. I am working with them on finding the best solution to my needs.

On thing, for information, is that when you run a Sand Rite head with the paper out that far beyond the brushes, you are basically doing what a Mac Mop does. The 1750 will work, it just wears out the paper faster and wears the wood down rather than cutting it.

Enjoy your good deal.

Perry

My brother purchased a Grizzly a few years ago. Think it works well for what he needs it for. (Not a woodworker) Not sure of the RPM.
    I use a Shopsmith for my buffer. variable speed is a nice feature.
    I have never seen a JET unit in person. Looks heavy duty and should last a life time.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    You stole it Lance! The Sand-Rite head, extra sanding flaps and brushes are pushing $300 by themselves!
    Sweet deal!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    On thing, for information, is that when you run a Sand Rite head with the paper out that far beyond the brushes, you are basically doing what a Mac Mop does. The 1750 will work, it just wears out the paper faster and wears the wood down rather than cutting it.
    I got a chance to play with the buffer today a bit and it definitely sands the way I want it to. Its not too agressive with the paper out past the brushes like the pictures show. Plus with the paper out that far, you get a nice breeze. Seriously, this thing moves some air when spinning. Definitely want to wear goggles when using one of these sanding heads.

Congrats Lance!!!

Treasure that Jet, I believe they're now no long available. I waited and waited to buy one, and when I went this summer to pick one up on-line, everyone said they're out of stock and the units are discontinued from Jet. The strange thing is that Jet still shows them on their web site. From anyone that I've talked to who uses one, they love them. Grizzly offers a 1HP unit at either RPM speed for around $300, but they don't seem as nice as the Jet units did. Anyway, great score on all the goodies you got with it. Now I have to look up what a Mac Mop is Always something new to learn from the Creek....