Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impact Driver woes

Impact Driver woes

Guys,

Based on everything I read I really should love this thing, but every time I use it in anything other that pine I seems to twist the heads off of screws and break the tips of the phillips bits. So that said love isn't the word I would use.

I am not using soft brass screws or anything like that, typically it is deck screws, which I would think are robust. I am also drilling pilot holes, particularly when the wood is really hard.

I bought some bit specifically for impact drivers but I want to know how to avoid twisting the heads off of the screws?

What am I doing wrong?

Make sure you're using high quality screws. If the came from a big box store they probably aren't very good.

There was a comparison of screws a few months ago in one of the WW magazines, perhaps someone will identify it for you (or search this site). There were a couple of mail-order places with decent screws.

Roger

You going to fast with it by chance?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Smile i have a 18v hitachi

i bought this impact driver for a 16 x 20 deck i was building.not 1 broken screw broke about 10 bits.i love this tool no sore wrist after a day of using it. just my .02 worth

Going too fast, maybe. I guess maybe a little feathering of the trigger is in order. But it seems where this could get away from you pretty easily.

Have you tried lubricating the screws and using "impact ready" bits?

My initial guess is the quality of screws and bits. It is actually work to find quality bits and screws these days.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

One you cam out a few screw heads, the bit is typically ruined.

If you are actually snapping the shanks of deck screws, you either have bum screws or are waaaaaay overtorquing them.

Two words....

square drive.

Three words if you throw in McFeely's.

I have the Makita 18v I just framed 2 small bedrooms using 3" square drive screws not one broken screw or bit. I think you are over torquing or got crappy screws.

That's why I love my Panasonic 12 volt impact driver. It has 3 speeds a digital clutch and more. I have had it for over 3 years and if I need another one I'll buy again.

http://www.internationaltool.com/9-6...aign=crdlstool
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Cambra View Post
    Guys,

I really should love this thing ...
    Specifically what 'thing' are you talking about?

Are you drilling your pilot holes large enough? Even with McFeely's square drive screws, I've broken head off in Red Oak.. drilled my pilot hole a size bigger, and no problem!!

Pilot holes need to be a little bigger for hardwoods... McFeely's catalog even has a chart for pilot hole sizes for hardwood vs. softwood for each screw size...

What tool are you using?

It shouldn't matter, as lots of posters have stated that they don't run into the same problem you're experiencing. But, just so we know, what tool are you using that's giving you grief, and from whom did the screws come from. Lastly, make sure the screws are at least #8 or maybe even #10 screws. Many "outdoor" or interior screws are only a #6 or #7, with their thinner shanks, which would giving you the snapped heads pretty easily.
    I don't run into your issue unless I've drilled too small of a pilot hole in tougher material. I use stainless steel for the most part on exterior projects, and coated ones for inside work[I hate rust] But, they're almost always from McFeelys like others have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mackay View Post
    Have you tried lubricating the screws.......
    Bingo. I have a tin container with a plumber's wax ring smashed into it. Stick the screw in there, and pull them out as needed. Every screw, every time, when going into pilot holes in hardwood.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.