Thread: laser exhaust

laser exhaust

Maybe someone can help me with this one. My laser has a 6" exhaust port, will the DC3 from Penn state work or do I need to find a 6" exhaust blower? I already have a reducer to make it fit. Thanks
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Blog Entries
    Worry more about what level of vacuum you need... if you need 250CFM at 4", find a DC that will get you at least that amount. PSI is pretty good about putting up vacuum charts...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Neil, what laser do you have? I would suspect that the laser manufacturer is trying to tell you something by putting on that 6" port. That's not to say you can't get adequate flow through a 4" pipe but it will be more difficult. The manufacturer will tell you the required flow at a specific pressure (they often use 6" water column for some reason). Maybe you can still achieve the pressure/flow parameter, but a reducer will add quite a large impedance in the exhaust system.

This laser is in a shop next door to mine. The owner hasn't a clue as to what it is but it looks like a rabbit, and he bought it direct from China. The laser is supposed to be 80 watts but has trouble cutting through thin wood veneer so am trying to help them get it up and cutting properly, right now it has the factory exhaust which leaves smoke in the chamber. I had recommended he get in touch with Mr. Jaragowsky and maybe he could help him with it.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Neil,

What the the laser table dimensions (include apx height if you can)?

And what is the 'factory exhaust', a fan?
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

The table is about 46"x30" and the height is about 12". The factory exhaust is a little fan that sits on a shelf under the table, we put on a 900cfm dust collector and it is working much better now. Thanks for all the input on this.

Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8