Thread: Tips/Help with Lighting in Built-in Bookcase

Tips/Help with Lighting in Built-in Bookcase

I'm finally getting around to putting together a bookcase for our office/computer room and I'd like to step the design up a notch to include some built-in lighting (a la down draft or curio type).

Any heat-related clearance issues?

Any particular brand or type of lights you recommend or say to avoid?

I'll slap some pics up when it's complete (hopefully not too long from now! )

Thanks!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

If you put lighting in the roof of the bookcase, the light will just fall on the top shelf, and all the other shelves will be in shadow -- not very useful.

A better approach is a fixture that sticks out in front of the cabinet, so its light washes down the full front of the bookcase. Here's one rather modern-style example, but there are lots out there in many styles: http://www.heralighting.com/hera/arclamp.html

A different approach is to put recessed lighting in the ceiling, again arranged so that the light can wash down the front of the bookcase.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 09-30-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks for the reply, Jamie-

I may be doing some other indirect lighting but the room is in a finished basement (I didn't finish it) so I'm not familiar with how the wiring was done. May replace the existing fixture with track lighting... that's an idea! Thanks for helping to get the 'thinker' going!

Mark
    Mark

Will Rogers

Mark,

Lighting can get pricey. I used string LED lights ($30) and lipped all the shelves to hide the stringing. That way each shelf gets lit in depth and width.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Sparks View Post
    Mark,

Lighting can get pricey. I used string LED lights ($30) and lipped all the shelves to hide the stringing. That way each shelf gets lit in depth and width.
    Thanks, Doug-

I was looking at LEDs but you're right... kinda spendy. Hope they come down soon!
    Mark

Will Rogers

If the cabinets are built in, I like to use the 3" recessed lights from the Borg with a glass shelf or insert on the top. They're cheap and easy to put in. For non-built in units, I've often thought about using something like this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119932 with the cord running down the back and just having those small pucks under each shelf. Not cheap though.
    One other idea is to use rope lights behind the face frame of the cabinet, if you're going that style. They illuminate the whole box and you can still have adjustable shelving.

Hey Thanks, Adam!

Got some good ideas there. My timeframe has been reduced by the client (swmbo) so I've decided to ditch the built-in lights idea but I still may install some exterior lighting in the room.

I'll try to post some pics when finished.
    Mark

Will Rogers