Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of those things on a stick ....Now with new stick

One of those things on a stick ....Now with new stick

This is one of those lidded boxes on a pedestal from some Russian Olive burl. The pedestal and finial are dyed dunno wood. It's about 10.5" x 4.25". I struggle with getting the proportions right between the stick, the box, and the finial. The parts aren't glued yet but to me the pedestal seems like it should be smaller or at least thinner, the finial seems too small. What do you folks think?

OK, I took the great advice offered and made a new stick for the pedestal. The last 3 pics are with the new stick. And a couple of the pics are more straight on. It's glued now so it is what it is. But now what do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 10-17-2010 at 3:10 PM.

2. The Olive Burl is great looking material. From the photo it appears the lid is lost within the form. I like what you've done sans lid/finial. If anything, I'd suggest to make the pedestal taller and thinner to add an elegance that showcases the beautiful burl. All in all you crafted a nice form and the wood choice is superb.

Curt, the box is beautiful! I love the wood and the form, and the lid is perfectly done.

The finial I think fits, and is very well done. On the pedestal, for me, I would prefer a little more height and a little thinner in the body. The flare at the top doesn't work for me. The base seems proportionate.

But, as all have said - many times - so much of this is personal taste. I think you did a beautiful job on this one!

Very nice work with a lovely burl. I agree with John, if the pedestal was thinner and slightly taller it might improve the proportions. I like the flare near the top of the pedestal but would prefer a different transition to the HF.

Beautiful work Curt!

I agree with the others on the pedestal - if it was slightly taller/thinner, it would add to the piece. As is, the pedestal looks to be the same height as the bottom of the burl to the finial. Having something close to the 1/2 ratio never seems to flow as well as something closer to the 2/3s mark. JMO.

I do like your finial! Nice design - very elegant!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Curt,

I really like the finial and the body of the thing. Gorgeous wood which you have displayed and finished nicely.

Like the others, I'd prefer to see a taller, thinner pedestal. I like the flare into the bottom of the thing.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Wonderful color and great shape on the main form. I think I agree with the taller and thinner suggestions, but I'd love to see a true profile pic... It's really hard for me to assess proportions of a 3D thing with photos. I think it's lovely as is, and any suggestions that I would make would be based on my personal preferences.

Curt the piece is a beauty. I like the form and finial. I agree with the others on the pedestal. That burl is beautiful.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Not to be redundant but I have to agree with making the "stick" taller. I have kind of gotten carried away with this, making pedestals that are six to seven inches tall. But I have been using them on "flower" forms where I want the pedestal to emulate a long stem. On yours, I would make the pedestal the same height as the main form or even slightly taller to elevate the form. I like the "nested" look of the lid but it might be a bit too "deep" into the main body. Overall, a very nice piece of work.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    The flare at the top doesn't work for me.
    I liked the flare but thought it was too big. But I had a 3/8" tenon on the bottom of the box so it needed the larger flare to hold the tenon. I remedied it by removing the tenon on the box and drilling the bottom to receive a tenon on the stick. I like it better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    As is, the pedestal looks to be the same height as the bottom of the burl to the finial. Having something close to the 1/2 ratio never seems to flow as well as something closer to the 2/3s mark.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    On yours, I would make the pedestal the same height as the main form or even slightly taller to elevate the form.
    I went for kind of a compromise on these two suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    but I'd love to see a true profile pic... It's really hard for me to assess proportions of a 3D thing with photos.
    I agree, I've never seen a photo that looks as good as the real thing, but I took a couple shots that are closer to a true profile.

Thanks to all of you folks for the great advice!

Curt,

I really like your changes!

You have nailed! Stunning!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That's enormously better! Now it really works. Nice one.
    David DeCristoforo

13. Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    This is one of those lidded boxes on a pedestal from some Russian Olive burl. The pedestal and finial are dyed dunno wood. It's about 10.5" x 4.25". I struggle with getting the proportions right between the stick, the box, and the finial. The parts aren't glued yet but to me the pedestal seems like it should be smaller or at least thinner, the finial seems too small. What do you folks think?

OK, I took the great advice offered and made a new stick for the pedestal. The last 3 pics are with the new stick. And a couple of the pics are more straight on. It's glued now so it is what it is. But now what do you think?

Curt,

Great turning! Great piece of wood! Your second pedestal nailed it! Great redo! I could only agree with one other poster who mentioned the lid being down inside the body just a little too much [my tastes]

A superb work for sure.......you should be proud of this one! Look out Keeton and DeCristoforo! The artists are starting to come out of the woodwork on this forum!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Wow - what a difference a stick makes!!! Really like how the pedestal and finial share the same elements!

Very nice work Curt! Well worth the effort on the second pedestal!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nicely done on the revision. It always amazes me how changing one component visually changes others... The burl form now looks taller and more slender.

How much of that RO Burl have you got left? That stuff is beautiful.