Thread: 3mm Thick Edge Banding

3mm Thick Edge Banding

Anybody have experience with edgebanding if this thickness? I am going to start my first cabinet door project and have no experience with edgebanding. My initial thought is that thicker is better...let me know.

Any reccomended suppliers or brand preferences?

Is this the kind you iron on? If so, I've never liked that stuff. I prefer to cut my own edge-banding and glue it on.

How are you finishing your doors? How are they made?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Yes the iron on stuff. The doors are just plywood slab doors, I have not decided on a finish yet.

The only stuff I've seen like that is pvc and you need to apply it with a hot air set up an iron just makes a mess. 3mm is available in wood, I don't know if it comes as strips or in a roll, but it is usually something that is applied using a commercial edgebander that also applies the glue.
    You are correct that thicker can be better, I make my own and use masking tape to apply it. Goes through the tape but is faster than clamps.
    Try these guys I've gotten some hard to find stuff from them www.edgecoinc.com
    Last time I bought a roll from them it was wenge and about $90 for a roll including 2nd or 3rd day shipping.
    Tom

The only iron-on edgebanding I've seen has been about .025" thick -- like a credit card. I don't trust it. The corners ding too easily. 2 mm or 3 mm is much better, but I've never seen it in iron-on. I cut my own at that thickness, and glue it on with conventional wood glue.

how are you guys cutting consistent dimension edge banding material? whenever i have done it i've had difficulty maintaining consistent thickness.

Dave,

Table saw works just dandy for this. Keep in mind you cut the edge-banding oversize...glue it on...then trim it to the board's thickness using a variety of methods.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The table saw can cut thin strips, but I have trouble with the last five inches of the strip or so. The trailing edge of the blade sometimes chews it up. I've had better luck with the bandsaw. (But I do have a higher-end bandsaw with a carbide blade, so YMMV..)

I cut it on the band saw and then run it through a drumsander.
    Tom