Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gasoline - And the junk that's being sold to us

Well I guess that I am the strange one on the board We just bought a VW Passat TDI (Diesel) and I just cannot remember the last time I fueled up the car Getting 34 mpg in the city and about 40+ on the freeway is wonderful, and if I want I can run Bio-Diesel
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    Well I guess that I am the strange one on the board We just bought a VW Passat TDI (Diesel) and I just cannot remember the last time I fueled up the car Getting 34 mpg in the city and about 40+ on the freeway is wonderful, and if I want I can run Bio-Diesel
    This is a 3rd hand story, but supposedly there was a crew chief on a civilian Boeing 707 who as part of his duties regularly drained the fuel sumps to check for contamination. He owned a VW diesel rabbit and never bought fuel. Diesels run just fine on Jet A, apparently.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms
    This is a 3rd hand story, but supposedly there was a crew chief on a civilian Boeing 707 who as part of his duties regularly drained the fuel sumps to check for contamination. He owned a VW diesel rabbit and never bought fuel. Diesels run just fine on Jet A, apparently.

Curt
    Sometime in the late 70's or early 80's, there was a feature article in the Progressive Farmer Mag. about a large Farm in the Southeast that had set tanks to gather the used peanut & other cooking oil from the Fast food Restaurants in their local area, and they even showed detailed pictures of the additional filtering system they put on all their trucks, tractors and other diesel equipment to run that oil, and hardly ever had to buy diesel. They also mentioned that some folks had even run lawn mowers and chainsaws on it, but I never tried it, and I don't remember if it was mixed with gasoline or straight for that application, but I think it was straight peanut oil. They said it gave a nice peanut smell when cutting wood.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 03-07-2005 at 1:30 PM.