Thread: Cherry dry bar.... just about done. Pics

Cherry dry bar.... just about done. Pics

Just finishing up this cherry dry bar with veneer front. Thought I'd share a few pics since I enjoy checking out everyone else's great project/pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work.

MK

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Beautiful work Mike. The BE maple veneer is stunning!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

VERY nice in all aspects !!!
    MARK

Beautiful work, with simply stunning wood!

Nice job Mike. I too really like the veneered doors.

Very cool
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Very nice Mike, are your doors locking? I Like the contrasting wood, and cherry is a one of my longtime favorites.

I have never done veneer, so if you have progress photos and any comments I would be interested.

Thanks for the kind words. Here's how I did the veneer. I didn't have any experience doing veneer so I could not justify buying a $$ vacumn system.

I looked into buying a vacumn pump but it was far far too expensive ($400-600 crazy). What I ended up doing was buying an aquarium oxygen bubble pump from Walmart. I opened the pump and flipped the diaphram block so it sucked air IN instead of pumping air OUT. It actually had two diaphrams so I used both ports. It worked like a charm. This cost like $20-25 bucks. I got about 5-10 mmHg pressure... which was plenty. I put a flat particle board (or MDF) above and below the veneer door when it was in the vacumn bag so that the pressure was evenly distributed. You see on the net that these boards usually have channels cut in them to distribute the vacumn. The door was dry in about 2 hours using regular wood glue. Of course I practiced before doing the actual doors. ;-)

The vacumn bag was a heavy duty vinyl shower curtain from Walmart as well. I folded in half and cut to size. I glued the two sides with vinyl glue from the auto section from... yes... Walmart. $5 bucks tops. One side was left open to insert the door. I closed the open end between a 3/8" dowel and long 1" wide board with a 3/8" dado cut in it to receive the dowel. Again, the open end of the vacumn bag was placed between the long dowel and dado board.

Hmmm. I think thats it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Nice... Like the Door Style, with the open Rail.... Very cool .. Good job