Thread: Gilded Bowl

Gilded Bowl

Hello All, here's a recent bowl that I like enough to share. Really enjoying the gilding and patination thing. It's claro walnut burl, gilded with copper leaf, imitation gold leaf and a patina done with sodium sulfide. I'm too lazy to go downstairs and get the dimensions but it's about 6" x 8"ish.

Anxious to hear opinions, good or bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't care what size it is...it's a lota work that paid off big time!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Jay, that is one great looking bowl. I love the whole thing - the form, the colors, just a great combination all around. And to top it off, another super creative idea of what in the world to do with a bowl! Love the way you did the copper and gold leaf.

David Marks would be proud!! Very nice work - well executed, and I like the way you left an irregular border of the Claro figure showing.

Looks like you used cheesecloth for some of the texture application, and I would probably prefer somewhat less of a pattern - maybe more of a sponge touch?? But, that certainly doesn't take away from the wonderful job you did with this! Great work on the leaves, the colors, and the overall look!

You need to share some info on the process you used, if you would.

Ditto on some info on the process. Like, how did you gold leaf a shape of a leaf? How did you get those lines in that leaf? What's the final finish over all that, if anything?

I see that 'cheesecloth' texture look. I'm thinking that just adds to all that's going on with this piece, and yet, it's not "too busy" of a look at all. Very classy and artsy looking!

John beat me to the David Marks comment. Nice work, though I tend to agree with his comment on the cheesecloth - looks to much like tool marks.

Very well done, I like this a lot and I generally don't care for straight sided bowls.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very cool. I love the form, and the embellishments are an interesting addition.

Really nice looking piece. I agree with the cheese cloth application look and the leaves.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vaughan View Post
    Ditto on some info on the process. Like, how did you gold leaf a shape of a leaf? How did you get those lines in that leaf? What's the final finish over all that, if anything?

I see that 'cheesecloth' texture look. I'm thinking that just adds to all that's going on with this piece, and yet, it's not "too busy" of a look at all. Very classy and artsy looking!
    The leaf was done with a real leaf, it was laid on the bowl as a resist, the copper was then laid on top of it. After removing the copper that was that just covered the leaf you're left with a void in a leaf pattern. Then the gold was applied to the void. Hard to describe, pretty sure I didn't do a very good job.

The lines were done with a dental pick tool, what you see as the lines is actually the wood beneath.

Finish is just lacquer over the whole thing.

The tough thing about using these chemicals to patina the leaf is the longer you leave them on, the more the color changes. Finding the right balance has been a struggle. There are quite a few pieces sitting in the scrap pile.

Thanks for the comments

Jay - first off - real nice job on the actual turning! I agree with the David Marks reference - looks like something you would see on his site!

Interesting combination of colors and textures! I like it - looking forward to seeing more of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!