Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a "Borg"?

What's a "Borg"?

I see lots of references to the "borg". From the context I'm guessing it is not a reference to the pseudo-race of cyborgs, from the Delta Quadrant.
    ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YMMV. IMHO. FWIW. SYOB. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Big Orange Retail Giant as in Home Depot but is used for all the big box home centers.

Yeah....and resistance is not entirely futile.

I always assumed it was a double entandre, with the Star Trek reference being half the fun.

It is. When the BORG moves in and assimilates (or annihilates) the little guys. No only applying to HD but all of the big chains.

Thus sayeth the Borg: "I am your father."

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Big Orange Retail Giant as in Home Depot but is used for all the big box home centers.
    Yes, and it's full of mindless drones who cannot exceed their programming.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Can also mean "Big 'ole Retail Giant" to include all big box stores...

The first time I asked this question I was told it was a reference to Star Trek.

When the party from the Enterprise first boarded a Borg ship, they were surprised they could walk past members of the Borg and be totally ignored. After awhile they accepted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    Thanks. Now I need to clean my monitor and keyboard of the coffee I was drinking...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I wish they would just ignore me. The have been told to constantly greet everyone and ask if they can help. It is very intrusive. One of the local Lowes actually has ONE person that actually could.

I do understand that the constant overbearing presence of staff is for deterring shoplifting.

I'm still enjoying the novelty of being asked even more than once a visit if I need any help. I remember just a few years ago wandering for aisles and aisles at my HD looking for any employee to ask a question. I went to a checkout and the clerk got on the intercom and someone finally came out of the breakroom to help. For a while, I took my business to Lowes because they were a tiny bit better. (Lowes also embraced the notion of real customer service about a year before HD did. )

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    Not all of them..........fortunately.

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    I wish they would just ignore me.
    And there is the problem. Some wish to be ignored other want a person in every aisle.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    I wish they would just ignore me. The have been told to constantly greet everyone and ask if they can help. It is very intrusive. One of the local Lowes actually has ONE person that actually could.

I do understand that the constant overbearing presence of staff is for deterring shoplifting.
    I just say, "no thank you", and they don't bother me. But then I never wanted to do any shoplifting.