Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Chinese Laser Machines Any Good?

I lost a laser tube on my Epilog Legend 24 with approximately 500 hours on the machine. It happened just outside of the 12 month warranty.

After several years I still am using the original Corel Draw driver that shipped with the Xenetech XLT1325 laser engraver we purchased at CNU. The driver is more than just frustrating, it is embarrassing that a $35,000 machine shipped with such a unprofessional piece of software and the company hasn't been able to provide me with a revised driver that works properly. There are work-arounds for the problems but I shouldn't have to waste my time every day when we paid for a professional machine.

There have been problems shared here concerning every manufacturer and most models of laser engravers. It is probably inaccurate to label all Chinese machines as sub-standard machines because of their origin nor to assume that all American made laser engravers are the best or most reliable.

And keep in mind there are differences between Taiwanese made machines (good quality, good design) with Chinese made ones.

Personally, I bought my Epilog because I was impressed by the quality, durability and service network. It was great to unpack the machine and be using it right away. I'd do it again.
    Marc Myer
    Epilog 35 mini

You hear all kinds of things about chinese lasers, I admit, some are better than others, even out of the same factory, so they are not real consistent, but there is support and for the price difference, it is worth a little headache. We have seen some in here at Vision and I am pretty impressed with them. Of course, the owner goes to China and visits the factories where they are made, so it is a little different perspective. Our electronics engineer says they are the kind of tubes you can make in your garage. . . . Well, maybe HE can make them in HIS garage, it ain't happenin' in MINE! there is the issue of tube life, but it is a viable machine that does laser engraving.

Quote Originally Posted by John Frazee View Post
    I paid $10,000 for a chinese machine that would have costs $25,000 here. Christmas will be three years and it's still going strong!
    John are you telling us you have been running your Chinese laser with the same tube for 3 years?

Tom "BUZZ"
    LaserBuzz

Quote Originally Posted by pete hagan View Post
    I bought my chinese laser three years ago
    Hi Pete, how long have you been running the same tube? If you had to replace it, how long did it last?

Tom "BUZZ"
    LaserBuzz

Same tube approx 1600 +/- 50 hours

My tube is probably due for replacement sometime soon however I have about 1600 hours on it. My use is sporadic but when it runs it is typically 10hrs a day until project is complete.

I bought an extra tube with the machine that is on the shelf. I only hope it is still gassed after three years. Frank indicated that he will have a tube for me in Dallas if I call so I'm not too worried.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Buzz Bernard View Post
    Hi Pete, how long have you been running the same tube? If you had to replace it, how long did it last?

Tom, please excuse me for not replying back. We went to the Bahamas for a week and didn't keep up with the thread upon returning.

I bought my Chinese laser from Brightstar, Christmas time will make THREE years. I use this machine almost every day and have not had any laser tube issues. I thought my tube was getting weak a while back because I had to increase the power a little cutting out nametags but it was just a different brand of material.

If my chinese laser stopped working today, I would be sick but could honestly say I have got my monies worth out of it plus some.

Speaking of chinese "Made in China" how many American brands have "Made in China" insides? It would be nice to be able to see some kind of report on the origins of all parts for all lasers, not just American, but Chinese as well.

Laser tube

Two people who have had a glass tube for more than 3 years and still running, Hmmmm, I have heard this from other users.

I know Brightstar and Turnkey laser both sell their machines with a Freon chiller, I wonder if that is the key to longevity I bet there is different quality glass tube manufacturers. I know all RF tubes are not built the same.

I do like to hear first hand experience - Thanks for the feedback.

Speaking of chinese "Made in China" how many American brands have "Made in China" insides?

You might have a point on all laser machines, what percentage of the machine is actually a component from another foreign country

Note: At the Charlotte NBM trade show I did get to see the new Trotec photo sensor for cutting printed pictures and I thought it was awesome. I can think of many new product ideas using that feature sure will make work easier!

Tom "BUZZ"
    LaserBuzz

I don't have facts to back this up but my suspicion is that ambient temperature and humidity have a lot to do with tube life. I had my first machine (ULS) for 8 years and replaced one tube; my second machine (Trotec) is going on 4 and the tube seems to be as good as new.

I keep my machines in my basement which is 65-72 degrees F and humidity at 40 to 60%.

There is also no question that a quality chiller extends the life of the Chinese tubes.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I don't have facts to back this up but my suspicion is that ambient temperature and humidity have a lot to do with tube life.

I keep my machines in my basement which is 65-72 degrees F and humidity at 40 to 60%.
    We need a "thumbs up" smily...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Smile Another Brightstar

My 60 watt is over 3 years old. Tube is still great. This machine gets a lot of use, almost everyday. I did replace power supply 2 weeks ago. This was after moving the laser to different location. I don't know if that was it or power surge. Still very happy with service and quality.

Just my $0.002,

Dave
    BrightStar 60 watt laser, Roland Print & Cut
    Screen Printing, Embroidery, Signs, Pad Printing

"Quality is remembered, long after price is forgotten"