Thread: Kelton Hollowing Rig

Kelton Hollowing Rig

Does anyone have experience using the Kelton Hollowing Rig? Is there a DVD out there showing how to use this system? Thanks in advance for any help.

I've not seen video's for the hollowing system - but I had a good reference for the coring system <sheepish grin> Thanks Terry

The Kelton rig uses the same principles as the Jamieson doesn't it? Just that it provides a coring 'gate' vs. using the std. rest right?

I have the system 8 gate, but I haven't tried using it w/ hollowing yet (I use a monster setup).

sorry for the mis-read.

mike
    Last edited by Mike Spanbauer; 11-01-2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: edit for correct tool :)

Aren't the dvd's on the coring system, not the captive hollowing system? Both Reed's and Mike's dvd's quite helpful for the coring system. I have the coring system and it works well and not near as scary as you might be led to believe.

Hey Tonowanda-I was in Buffalo for 4 years! Mahoney's DVD is great. Bill Grumbine has some pointers as well but I don't know if he has a DVD-try his website.

I don't think there is a video on their hollowing system, but you could try the Kelton web site.

A friend loaned me his set to try out and I liked them so much that I got the whole set (no, I do not have a tool buying problem, it is for research). I use them free hand for roughing. With the adapters, I use the smaller ones in my Monster articulated hollowing tool. I prefer them for the roughing, and the carbide disc tools for fine finish cuts. I use the Eliminator because they were out first I think, but Hunter will work fine as well, and the Monster comes with carbide discs as well. I do prefer the hooked/goose neck type tools to the adjustable tip and cutter types. Just switch blades, and no adjustments necessary.

robo hippy

Lance, if you are thinking of buying a hollowing rig you may think about contacting Kelton, as I believe they are working on releasing a new version of their hollowing rig. (their old version is on their web site) I have yet to test one ( very soon) but from what I know it has some nice new features.

I hope this helps.

Lance, I use the Kelton rig with lazer adapter and really like it. It is a big and heavy rig but so is my lathe. There is a learning curve to go through. There is a video that comes with the rig but it seemed to me to be more promotional than instructive.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning