Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Best Craigslist Score??

Craigs List Saws

Well I thought my Delta Contractors Saw with Router table extension and a DeWalt Router was a good deal at 270.00 (3 years ago) ... but last week I saw an ad for a "Powermate" Heavy Old Saw....I emailed and asked the seller to check the nameplate again and 120.00 later I am the owner of this Powermatic 74....be a few more weeks cleaning it up but its starting to look like a REALLY good deal....

Blog Entries
    does anyone else want to share your best craigslist deals with everyone??

My best scores have been...

Northern Industrial 16 speed floor drill press $75.00. Needed 2 fasteners, some lubrication, and some rust removal.

5/4 Black Walnut shorts $1.00 / bd/ft. And he charged for 4/4!

100 ft 4" S&D PVC pipe in 10' joints $20.00.

Ryobi BT3000SX table saw for parts. $10.00, sold the parts off for $120.00

Ryobi BT3000 table saw complete minus guard / riving knife. $20.00, added riving knife / guard and donated to church organization that works with Habitat for Humanity.

There are a couple of items I am keeping an eye open for on CL...

#1. Central Machinery, oh heck, just about any 110V 8" jointer for under $250.00. The Central Machinery 8" tends to come up every so often for about $200.00... From what I have seen add some Freud knives to them, and they are a good basic machine. Of course OLD Rockwell jointers would be preferred but are usually out of my $$ range...

#2. A bench top mortiser. I would love the Grizzly or Shop Fox 3/4 HP models, but would consider Delta, or Jet as long as the $$ is right...

#3. Higher quality quick release bench vise. They don't come up often, but I have seen a few old Record 9" quick release vises listed...

#4. Vintage hand planes... I missed some pre WW2 Stanley planes last week. Looked like a #4 and a #5... I have those sizes in cheap imports so I passed, but I would REALLY like a jointer plane...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

4. Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    alright everyone, lets hear a few of your best Craigslist scores??

Dunno about my best score, but my most recent is a customer who wants a pub height table for her dining room table, and she wants it to be 5' X 5'.

Unfortunately, none of the furniture stores/companies make them in that size.

Guess I'll just have to take the commission (several thousands), and make it for her.

Oh well, I guess life could be worse.

My favorite score on craigslist is a Lie Nielsen block plane for $20.

The most useful score I've found on craigslist is 10,000ea 13"x17" ziplock bags for free.

The most sentimental score I've found on the net was not on craigslist, but was on myspace and that is where my wife found me.

My most recent is the 1981 PM90 that I got at auction for $300. Yeah, it needs a paint job, needed a VFD, but still a great price for a great machine. Could have gotten it for $50 if the ONE other bidder hadn't been there! But I guess he's saying the same thing right now... And yes, it included the banjo, tool rests, chip cover, and tailsock...

I drink, therefore I am.

7. Great stuff out there. I have all of my big power tools from CL The two best deals were a Delta 1993 2hp 12 inch RAS (the turret style) for $50.00 and a Kreg full sized router table with plate, inserts, fence and casters for $175.

I can't get enough of CL!

Hammer B3 sliding saw with tilting shaper $1000. My wife thinks it's an awfully expensive miter saw stand (she might be right).

See here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=148185

9. Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    a 12" unipoint RAS from ~1948, 300 bucks, original motor and bearings are still just fine.
    I got a 16" Unipoint for 100 bucks

The other week I picked up a Rockwell 15" VS press with production table for 100. Also picked up a Delta 6x48 belt/disk sander for 100 last year. Other deals included a Dewalt MBF for 25, Walker Turner 900 DP with the elusive top belt guard for 50. Also a Rockwell 20" bandsaw for 200, unisaw for 250 about 2 years ago. CL has been good to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    You all SUCK. My craigslist looks like an overpriced BORG clearence 99% of the time...
    We must live in the same town. I just saw a well-used Dremel 16" variable speed scroll saw listed for $300. I think they sell for about $200 brand new. I've also noticed the prices have gotten higher in the last couple of months.

A Festool C-12 drill for $180. Used only once on a cabinet install. The guy had 5 of them for sale. New price in 2008 was $415. I paid for shipping and got the guy to agree to it.

I'm not a computer-savvy person, but I mastered a way to sequentially search all U.S. city CL sites for a particular item. Can cover larger cities across the country in about 5 minutes. I found my Festool in Tuscon, AZ.
    I live in Northern Calif.

cl deals

14'delta bandsaw 85.00

Smile Our Best Craigslist Score ! ! !

We got back from Texas "early" Sunday morning after a 16 hour round trip.

Pictures will follow after we get it all off loaded & into the shop.

PDF of Excel Spread Sheet Attached.

Steve

P.S. Lathe has less than 20 hours on it . . . . and it looks it . . .
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Well, not including the post above about my tool addiction (since I had to put some effort into it), I got a Delta X5 Unisaw 52" Biesmeyer, 15" planer, 6" jointer, and dust collector for $900. Had to remove some nasty rust, but the tools were practically new (even under warranty!) Got the receipt with them for $4800+!

Gotta be quick in my area! Dan