Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gift for a one year old?

Gift for a one year old?

Hello,

I want to make my nephew something for his 1st birthday coming up in January and I am drawing a blank. For Christmas I made him a rocking horse, but now I am fresh out of ideas. I saw a buckboard wagon and an Irish mailcar that look kind of interesting. I was hoping you could share some ideas on things you have made. Thanks.

I'd give him a lithium battery sawsall.

Or, how about a step stool? I didn't make it, but we have a two step little stool with our boys name in letters that fit into openings on the top.

Long before he could walk, he loved standing while balancing with it, setting things on it etc. Then he used it to look out windows. Now he is using it to reach bath sink, and it will be in use for many more years.

-Steve
    Last edited by Steve Griffin; 11-25-2010 at 4:34 PM.

I made my nephew one of those old fashon pull tops. You would need a lathe. I hear my brother is enjoying it as much as my nephew.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 11-25-2010 at 4:06 PM.

Cary,

Nice toy!

Is this from a pattern or your own design?

Can you give us a few dimensions, like the handle length and diameter of the top?

Thanks,

Bill

Once saw plans to build a child’s easel and though that would make a good gift. Might be a bit too young for a child's easel right now, but maybe in a a few years.

If I recall, the drawing board was sized to accommodate a pad of inexpensive white paper from an artist supply store. It was a two-sided design: one side for the paper; the other was a blackboard. Somewhere I saw sources for a black/green board type of paint that is applied over tempered Masonite.

I would also make the legs short enough and drill a series of holes that the height could be variable by adding on a removable leg and machine screws and wing nuts.

Another good gift idea might be small “play” table and chairs.

These have been tremendous successes:
    1. As mentioned above, a step stool to be able to reach the basin for hand washing.
    2. A little table/desk and chair. My children went through three of them, in different sizes and the problem was persuading them that they were big enough to use the kitchen table.
    3. A slide, which I actually made from a recycled broom cupboard door.

Hope this helps.

Bill,
    My design? Yes and no. I 'm ot a good turner so the wood makes up it's ind what it wants to be. The general idea came from a thread I saw a couple of years ago.I don't rember the size of this one but general sizes are given in the thread:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44111. I have made several and the kids and their dads seem to enjoy them.

I've made a few of these - my grandchildren have had plenty of fun with them. Basically a ripoff of Cuisenaire rods, but too big for 1 year olds to swallow (smallest cube is 40 x 40 x 40 mm, largest is 200 x 40 x 40, and the box in this picture is 200 x 200 x 200 internal, although I've also made more rectangular boxes).
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rash View Post
    Hello,

I want to make my nephew something for his 1st birthday coming up in January and I am drawing a blank. For Christmas I made him a rocking horse, but now I am fresh out of ideas. I saw a buckboard wagon and an Irish mailcar that look kind of interesting. I was hoping you could share some ideas on things you have made. Thanks.
    Since he's only 11 months old, this might seem like something that's and eternity away -- but that boy will VERY SOON need a stepstool to reach both the sink basin and the toilet bowl.

I made a set of steps, that also included handrails, for my grandkids. And though it took awhile for the item to see ultimate usefulness, my daughter was profusely thankful when the time came.

The steps made it possible for children (of either gender) to reach the bowl or seat, with ease and safety. It was lightweight enough that the child could move it around as needed. And it was decorated with cartoon characters that any child could love.

Note that it also made it possible to reach the sink, from the top step.

I haven't talked to my daughter about it recently, but my expectation is that this item will be passed to my son and his wife, when/if they have kids.

I have 2 grand daughters and I made them both a pull toy dog for their first birthday. They both love it and the one ever sleeps with it.

I have also made the push toy and it stays at my house and gets used a whole lot when they come over.

dog1.jpg dog2.jpg

push1.jpg push2.jpg

Builder Boards

There's a book on them, It has detailed plans to make interlocking boards to build kids playhouses. Google "Builder Boards" for more information and videos. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...builder+boards

Thanks for the ideas. I think I am going to make a step stool. Does anyone have any plans for one? If not I'm sure I can find something on the internet. Bill do you have plans for those pull behind dogs? I think I would like to make one of those too. Thanks again.

Here's a link to a few plans.

http://www.freewoodworkingplan.com/i...180&topic=step stools

Bill

If I had it to do over think I would have made a spankin' paddle for my teenage daughter when she was one.

That was funny Dewayne!

Here's one like we have with the name inset. A plunge router and scroll saw would be all you need to make the letters.

-Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images